just lost my 2nd torque converter in 45k

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my truck is stock but I have the lift with 35's, I pull loaded trailers 7k + at time and a lot of city driving, I'm just thinking that a lil over kill in the ability of handling torque will compensate for stop and go traffic, I am doing a programmer, now, turbo in the future and injectors when the time comes, which will porbobly be within the next 50k miles, I'm figuring they will need it at 350k ????
What are yalls thoughts

Guess for a guy pulling all the time it wouldn't hurt to have the ATS. I have a kid on the way myself and I know a little about how tedious one can be when it comes to buying upgrades for the truck.

I have an older model 7.3 with 575,000miles on the factory injectors. I'd say hold off the injectors untill it starts sounding rough in the mornings when its cold. Thats the way mine is untill it warms up and everything tightens up. Just my opinion to get your moneys worth out of them before dropping $2k-$3k in it just for the heck of it. The turbo, which is about $1500 labor and all itself, is also the stock factory turbo with no letting up nor signs of. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and buy the parts to have them on stand-by for emergency situation....especially the turbo.

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
Guess for a guy pulling all the time it wouldn't hurt to have the ATS. I have a kid on the way myself and I know a little about how tedious one can be when it comes to buying upgrades for the truck..
Well the injector and turbo. In the future are if needed, I'm not doing anything for the heck of it, new kid fixed that :)
- just want it done and done right , like everyone else, I have other things I want to do other than repairs :) maintance ok upgrades fun, repairs not fun

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the injector and turbo. In the future are if needed, I'm not doing anything for the heck of it, new kid fixed that :)
- just want it done and done right , like everyone else, I have other things I want to do other than repairs :) maintance ok upgrades fun, repairs not fun

"are if needed" is right. Are you having any problems right now with either the turbo or injectors? A worn out injector usually falls under maintenance because it does not disable the truck nor really does any damage. It just sounds rough untill it warms up. And you never know when the turbo is going to go out untill it gives you a "hint"...that is a repair lol. Then it will go out within 300mi. I'm just saying, especially since your trucks has been stock, the turbo and injectors still have AT LEAST a couple of more years on them. Then when you do the uprgrades just keep everything within peremiters with your gauges and it should still be just as good.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
"are if needed" is right. Are you having any problems right now with either the turbo or injectors? A worn out injector usually falls under maintenance because it does not disable the truck nor really does any damage. It just sounds rough untill it warms up. And you never know when the turbo is going to go out untill it gives you a "hint"...that is a repair lol. Then it will go out within 300mi. I'm just saying, especially since your trucks has been stock, the turbo and injectors still have AT LEAST a couple of more years on them. Then when you do the uprgrades just keep everything within peremiters with your gauges and it should still be just as good.

X2

changing shifting points will help, but if you are eager to spend money put it to new gearing, unless you like abusing tourqconverters and having to deal with warranty people. ahh yes warranty people :lmao

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2

changing shifting points will help, but if you are eager to spend money put it to new gearing, unless you like abusing tourqconverters and having to deal with warranty people. ahh yes warranty people :lmao

Yea...might need to talk to the guys over at powerstrokehelp.com. They did a video you can watch, "Big Tires FUBAR Transmission", and he suggest changing gearing with bigger tires. I contacted them and asked what they suggested with my size tires and they said I will be fine with my 4.10 gears. So you may go down in gears one step from that.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a quote from pmtdiesel.com on their bd torque converter...

pmtdiesel.com – BD Diesel Performance Torque Converter Ford 1995-2007

"TorqForce Performance Torque Converters - The No-Compromise Converter for High Performance Street, Towing or Racing Applications!

In high performance, high-load situations, the torque converter bears the brunt of the engine’s force. Inferior torque converter designs can slip excessively, causing the oil foam and boil, and the front cover to “balloon”—even rupture. But BD’s TorqForce torque converter was specifically designed to handle the kind of punishment you dish out. Built on our premises in a state-of-the-art transmission facility, BD TorqForce converters feature a stamp forged steel cover that is actually stronger than steel billet, up to triple the clutch material, furnace brazed fins and our own billet aluminum stator design that maximizes the low-speed torque characteristics of the Cummins engine. On the street, you’ll notice that stall speed is reduced significantly, resulting in more positive engagement in drive, enhanced low-speed drivability and better fuel economy. If you drag race or sled pull, you’ll appreciate that the TorqForce is designed to handle up to 1,400 lb.-ft of torque in an 11-second truck. And if you tow a heavy trailer, check this out: The TorqForce has been tested to 850 lb.-ft of torque, towing a 26,000 lb. load up a six-percent grade!"

Sounds like your kind of pulling. The BD tc can be installed at a transmission shop, part price $6-800. I had mine installed at Certified Transmissions her in Louisiana.

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
rammertide07 thanks for the link and the advice, proir to your link i had ordered it and well my order got lost but they overnighted it to me at extra cost to me thank goodness;tu

i went ahead with them for the warrenty, i talked with a few people i found that has used them and they really stand behind their 5/500,000 and have had great customer service, well i got the ats torque converter today:hail

now waiting on trans temp gauge 47.88 , B&M deep sump pan 175.95 from summit, best price i found around for these.

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, do a write-up on it sometime after you put some miles on it and let us know how it works for you. If you get the chance, drive a truck with the regular billet and do a camparisson. That would be interesting to read up on cuz I, nor probably a bunch of other folks, know how these two compare up to each other. From what I read about the ATS, it sounds like it stays locked up more. That would get on my nerves when letting out of the throttle going 75 mph down the interstate.

And since you're spending $$$ and working in that area, a shift kit would be a GREAT and CHEAP investment. Well worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
parts came today, best part trans pan had a pre treaded spot for the trans temp gauge.
torque converter
deep trans pan
fluid cooler- free found in garage
trans temp
programmer
fluid
trans jack

here we go :dizzy

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads