Kidney stones?

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
Cranberry juice is a no no with kidney stones, especially if they're calcium stones. The cranberry juice is loaded with calcium and will snow ball a stone in no time flat.

Now having said that, cranberry juice is good for kidney/urinary infections, just not stones.

Please don't ask how I know all this, it's too painful to think about

HUH... maybe thats why he had such a hard time with his, he got the wrong info:eek: :eek: :eek:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
This past weekend was really painful and I never passed the stone. I'm having a stone protocol cat-scan later today at the hospital. Argh...-mad What a lousy birthday gift. :rolleyes:

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I was just logging on and noticed it was your birthday. Have a happy one anyway.

stones are a pisser - so to speak.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is your birthday present from me to you... information on lithotripsy.

Read below. They used this procedure on me when the stone was to large to pass normally.

LITHOTRIPSY FOR KIDNEY STONES

A lithotripsy for kidney stones is a nonsurgical procedure in which the doctor uses sound waves from a lithotripsy machine to break up stones in your kidney. The stone pieces are then flushed out in the urine.

This procedure may be done when the kidney stones are painful, are causing kidney damage, or are blocking the flow of urine to the bladder. The stones may permanently hurt kidney function if they are not treated. The stones can also cause infection. Sometimes they cause heavy bleeding and shock. Not all kidney stones can be treated with lithotripsy. Ask your healthcare provider whether lithotripsy is an option for you.

If you have a lithotripsy you will be given a local or general anesthetic to prevent you from feeling pain during the operation. The doctor may put tubes into your ureter (the tube connecting the kidney to the bladder). You lie on a table over the lithotripsy machine. The lithotripsy machine sends sound waves against the kidney stones, breaking them. The doctor uses x-rays to find the kidney stones, keep the sound waves focused on them, and track their breakdown. The stones can then pass down your ureters into the bladder after a few days.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Richard, I hope you pass that soon, those of us who've had the darned things and had the litho and stint know all too well what you're going thru.

We won't tell you how they get the stint out if you end up needing one :eek:

Remember to keep drinking PLENTY of water to help flush it on out.

Happy B-Day

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great;

Now get it analyzed so you can change your diet, or water intake so you do not have another bout.

Vinni

I didn't do it
Reaction score
STones

Actually I just passed my third stone last week. It was a 5.7mm stone that resembled a Rolley Polley covered in sand. My pain began with symptoms matching that of Gall Stones (upper front/right abdomen); however, the pain soon migrated to lower/right back. This is called collateral pains. It is hereditary for me from my Dad's side of the family.

Best way I describe it is, once the stone is actually out of the kidney and on its way to the bladder - it feels as if someone is twisting a knife in your back on which ever side is experiencing the blockage. There is NO position that will alleviate the pain and it is constant and could cause nausea and/or vomiting. Essentially, your kidney is poisoning itself by attempting to cleanse your urine; however, it is only getting backed up because it is unable to pass the excess onto your bladder. At this time you will experience a bit of blood exiting the body periodically. If the stone is too large to make the exit from the kidney, it can block passage and cause extreme infection which could cause you to go "septic" which is when the infection is passed into the bloodstream and then that can cause for your system to form a strain of blood disease which could cause death if not treated heavily with anti-biotics.

Additionally, the majority of your pain you are experiencing is NOT from the stone itself. Actually, it is you testicles that are causing you a great deal of pain. As your body experiences more pain your blood pressure lowers and your body temperature drops. This causes for your testicles to rise close to the body in order to maintain a temperature in order to incubate the sperm contained. In order to relieve the majority of your pain - draw a HOT bath (as hot as you can possibly stand) and sit in it. You will be quite amazed just how fast your lower abdomen pain will be almost instantly relieved.

At this time, you need to be taking in an abnormal amount of water. This will assist in not only providing for the back pressure to push the stone through but to also provide for increased fluids in order to lower the toxins your kidneys are attempting to filter and pass along.

once the stone has pushed its way to your bladder and fallen in - you will be temporarily relived of phase 1 of the process. Soon the stone will enter the urethra in order to exit the body through the ***** - throughout this time, you should be ingesting an abnormal amount of water (i was drinking about 8-24oz bottles daily) in preparation for when the stone decides to finally make an exit which will begin phase 2. Phase 2 passes fairly quickly once the stone has entered far enough not to back out. You will experience a bit of pain and discomfort but mainly you will have the urge to urinate almost constantly.

In worse case scenarios, i trip to the urologist may be required to either be sunk in a tub, surrounded by a water bladder for a light treatment of sound waves in order to cause stone that is too large for your body to pass naturally to fracture into smaller pieces. If this fails, a procedure called lithotrypsy may be attempted wherein you will be relaxed and/or possibly given an epidural and heavier sound waves hit to your kidneys using a bean bag of sorts. Additionally, a stint may be put in place in order to provide for less painful passage of the stone particles - usually, this is left in place for a week and sometime the urologist will leave the string hanging from the end of the ***** for you to remove yourself. In worser yet cases, a laser can be used to "blast" the stones into smaller pieces and then a basket is used to retrieve them - all taking place while you are put under and through the end of the *****. As a last resort, once all lesser evasive procedures have failed - surgery may be performed to go through the back and remove the stone(s) from your kidney however there is a great possibility of near future kidney failure - which is why this is held off as a last resort.

As said before - kidney stones should not be wished upon a worst enemy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58