Lack of threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I don't know if any of you ever take a look at some of the other diesel forums or not. I am sure that most on here have been here longer than I have. I still consider myself a novice when it comes to this forum stuff.

On alot of the other sites that I check out from time to time, it is unbelieveable at the trash that goes on. The language is so foul, explesive language, suggestive material and so on. Almost all of them allow political discussions that get way out of hand and members start to do the name calling crap, cursing each other out, and the like.

I would hate to see SDD head in that direction. SDD was the first forum of any type that I had anything to do with. I actually had no idea that "forums" existed on the internet. I found SDD by accident and have been hooked ever since, primarily because of its clean, family friendly content. Sure, some of the others are more popular, but I feel it is because of their "looseness" with the forum rules. They talk about more trash and filth than they do their own trucks.

When I was asked to be on the staff here, I felt it was an honor to do so. We as staff have certain things to look for and are asked to do when the need arises. The "closed thread" that has been mentioned today, was asked to watch closely after the first 2 posts, so I did.

I make no apologies for closing it and doing the job that I have been asked to do. If ya'll want to talk about it, please don't quitely talk around me. I will not be mad if you have a problem about me closing it, but don't act like I don't exist. Come to me with any concerns you might have if you think I have moved to quickly on something.

I want to do a good job (because I too have been repremanded before by staff, something about a pic of a guy using a snowblower and the snow was coming out his you know what) I don't want to make any enemies or have anyone dislike me over a thread that may have been quiestionable from the get go.

Everyone think before you post something that may even be close to violating the code of conduct that the administrators have set in place.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Hmmm.....maybe this site isn't so bad after all.
My bother, here's a Lienie for ya...

oktoberfest_page1.jpg

Reaction score
I do frequent other diesel sites and I have not seen the activity you speak of on those particular sites. As long as the members conduct themselves with maturity nothing is locked. By cutting off a conversation prematurely all you are doing is promoting descanted not stopping it. Yes, closing the thread was not called for. But would it honestly do any good to contact you and tell you that? I think not. Apparently the staff of this forum is so wrapped up in worrying about what people might say that they have forgotten what a forum is all about. It does not matter if it is a truck, car, motorcycle, or a bondage site. A forum is there for the exchange of ideas and for people to connect with other people who share their interest. There will always be disagreements. That is too ingrained in our nature to stop. But as long as the members have not reduced them selves to name calling, there is no problem.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
A forum is there for the exchange of ideas and for people to connect with other people who share their interest. There will always be disagreements. That is too ingrained in our nature to stop. But as long as the members have not reduced them selves to name calling, there is no problem.

Ok. Right here I'm going to have to stop you and give you some sage advise I've learned over the years.

Under no circumstances, should you EVER publicly question the descision of the Moderators or Administrators.

A forum is neither public, nor covered by free speech. It is a commercial enterprise, funded by advertizer dollars. Let me give you an example; Bowsite.com, the largest bowhunting site in the web, nearly folded a few years ago because constant bickering amongst members in several forums caused advertizers to not renew sponsorship, or pull their sponsorship altogether. So when the Admin and the Mods asserted control, they were called "censorship Nazi's," which exacerbated the problem, by stirring up more trouble. The result? Several people (including myself, ironically, for discussing diesel engine repair of all things) were invited to not participate anymore.

The Moderators have a tough job to do, promoting constructive exchange of ideas, while at the same time protecting the interests of the sponsors.

anyway, there's some wisdom from one who has been on both sides of the coin.

and before I forget (which I did, so I had to come back and edit my post)

Thank You for your service to our Country.
You couldn't pay me enough to do your job, but I'm glad there's people like you doing it.

you've earned a Lienie, too
hw_page.jpg

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
Jack-

The thread you started was locked because of inappropriate content. It may have started with the best intentions, but took a turn for the worse, quickly.

If what you are looking for is a 'social' environment to express your personal beliefs and opinions, then a social networking site like Facebook might be more appropriate.

Tread very carefully for some moderators are more tolerant than others. Regardless whether or not we agree with each other, we act as one.

I will say this very clearly- you need to reread the User Agreement. In case you need a refresher as to where it can be found- Forum rules

Those are the 'rules' which people should follow, and the ones that we moderators enforce.

We all agreed to them when we joined this site.

Sometimes we all need a refresher on them. Here is an excerpt-

"We want to promote a clean, healthy, respectful atmosphere where people are not afraid to ask questions, participate in this community and generally have a good time discussing the things we love most - Trucks with Diesels.

Any posts or threads that break these rules may be deleted or edited at any time at the discretion of SuperDutyDiesel. There is no guarantee that any posts or threads will be deleted or edited, however, even if they break forum rules. The volume of posts at SuperDutyDiesel does not allow for review of all messages or action on all emails sent to us reporting messages that violate the rules. SuperDutyDiesel is not liable for any damages suffered by the postings of users on the site."

And if you think we sit around waiting to hit the button to lock threads or ban people, I got news for you, we all have real jobs with obligations and families to tend to first. We don't spend all day here. We don't have the time and effort or energy to read everything.

dp

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do frequent other diesel sites and I have not seen the activity you speak of on those particular sites. As long as the members conduct themselves with maturity nothing is locked.

I know of one site in particular that does do what Bama said and much worse. I personally have no problem with him closing your thread. Do I think you guys were crossing the line NO, but this is the net and it doesn't take much for someone to get upset and start acting the fool. Seriously would you rather him stop it before you get yourself banned or after? I'm sorry you feel like you might want to delete this site from your favorites but if you do I'd be a little sad to see you go.

The one site I mentioned has the moderators and administration calling members out and letting other members bash them also. Then they end up banning the guy that tells them they should stop. As the saying goes been there done that got the T-shirt.

Nice job Bama and keep up the good work!!

Pat

Reaction score
I made it clear earlier that I understand we not guaranteed a freedom of speech on this or any forum. I never said we should be either. I am just saying I do not think a pre-emptive strike was necessary. No one was “acting the fool” and I doubt it would have gotten to that point. I always excuse myself from threads like that so I know I would not have been the one doing it. I think friendly debates are a good thing. What would happen if I posted something I wanted to do to my truck and some one said they do not agree with that mod? Then I countered with why I think it should be done. Then we continued debating it until we either chose to forget about it or, found common ground? In a case like that were there was no name calling and no immaturity would the thread be closed? This one was different because it was not a truck related issue. It was just for fun. I live my life on a matter of principle. There are a lot of people who will fight and die for principle. I am angry over this simple thing because it is a matter of principle.

dpantazis

Reaction score
Jack-

DROP IT!

From the User Agreement,

"(10) Public discussions of staff decisions are not permitted on the site. If you have any concerns or queries relating to a staff decision, please take it up in private with a member of the site administration team."

this thread is officially closed.

dp

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The "missing man":rolleyes: (me) will chip in my .02,how I see it is if the thread gets closed then it was due to the discussion was progressing nowhere but downhill pitting one members personal opinion/view's against another member/s,there's nothing wrong about voicing one's opinion but if it stirs up a poo-storm then action must be taken to maintain the stability between everyone.

Now if the thread or posts was straight up removed from the forum then it was due to it was against the rules of the community so in my opinion the "thread closed" isn't all that bad for the content within the thread may be worth reading or learning from;)

As a member,If you have an interesting photo/s you'd like to share with the community and think it might stir things up in a controversal without meaning it to,please do contact a staff member with the photo/s to get an be sure before posting.

:TY

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ya know, I saw this thread from the get go and decided I would let it run its course and see where it went. Folks sometimes need to air their feelings and if doing it in this thread was good for you then it was good for me.

However, let me clear some things up.

First;

I will make no apologies for the banning of members that has taken place in the past. Some were done by myself and some by other staff members but know this right off the top, not a single one was a unilateral decision. It was discussed in great depth by the whole group before it was done. If one of those banned was a close personal friend of yours, well I am sorry.

Secondly;

This site was founded upon and will continue to act as an information source and technical resource for the Ford F-series tuck line. I know that you can only talk so much tech and then you need to be able to let your hair down as well. Keep in mind the site rules when you are posting off topic threads and how you interact within those topics. If they fall outside the guidelines of how this site is intended to run do not expect a moderator to contact you prior to thread closure or deletion, we try to let the newbs know by PM if they are out of line, but the seasoned members here know the whatfors already.

Thirdly;

Feel free to disagree with any member of the staff you choose to, we are all adults and have for the most part "earned our wings" on forums like this. Meaning we all know how to interact and can take constructive criticism for what it is. However, if you attack a person, be it staff or member, you will be gone. We don't tolerate nor condone such activities here.

Again, this is a tech site and will be kept as such. There are sites out there for general chit chat and if the weather isnt fair enough for you here then you can try them out. Good luck getting your truck running on one of those sites though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14