Looking for information on a Detroit 318.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The T444E is IH's version of the Powerstroke. Not a bad choice for a conversion at all, HP potential is as deep as your pocketbook. Obviously the 444E will fit between the frame rails and underhood just fine, there are about 10 million of them on the road in the 94-03 Fords.

The sticky situation is that it is a computer controlled engine which means you'll need to add in a PCM and the chassis sensors that will control the tranny and engine.

That is the beauty of the 12 valve Cummins or the 6.9/7.3 IDI, they are all mechanical with no inputs needed.

Reaction score
I think I used the wrong number. It was a non electonic version. The 7.3 that ford used prior to the Powerstroke. Would that be a T444? The engine I was going to use was a 7.3 and from an international school bus. But it did not have any electronics.

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I think I used the wrong number. It was a non electronic version. The 7.3 that ford used prior to the Powerstroke. Would that be a T444? The engine I was going to use was a 7.3 and from an international school bus. But it did not have any electronics.

That would be a 7.3L IDI ;)

Reaction score
Can that engine really put out the power I am looking for? If so, how long would it old together, and would I not get similar power from a bigger engine with out those kind of mods?

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Can that engine really put out the power I am looking for? If so, how long would it old together, and would I not get similar power from a bigger engine with out those kind of mods?

It is not a powerhouse. You might get 300 horse out of it with one hell of a deep pocketbook, and a lot of work and ingenuity.

As was said before, your quest for something original is admirable.

You had mentione the DT 466. At 1,400 pounds, it would be heavy, and dimensionally, i don't believe it would fit without major mods. However, they use DT466 engines in tractors pulls and such, and I've heard of them making over 2,000 horsepower. If you could finds a way to shoehorn one of them into a truck, which i am assuming would take major frame modifications, a body lift, front suspension and steering upgrades, and so on, you could make yourself one heck of a rig. But I'm just not so sure it can be done.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
You know, for something original, but maybe not blow the doors off powerful, take a look at some of Isuzu's 4 cylinder applications. They have a 5.2 liter 4-clinder tha thtey use in their LCF trucks. Also, the little diesels out of the sprinter vans, made by Mercedes. 5 and 6 cylinder.

Reaction score
I have looked at those engines for another possible biuld. For their size, they put out respectable power. I just looked at some photographs of a DT466 in a early 90's F350. Considering the frame I plan to use, i think I could get it to fit a lot easier than that guy did. Teh only issue is I cannot use the twin turbo idea I had.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg