Looking for information on a Detroit 318.

Reaction score
I am not sure if I should go with an automatic or standard. I want something with some low end grunt in front. then some good high way gearing at the end.

altaford

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Could always track down a "5 over 4" dual tranny setup, lol, probly wouldn't fit, but a blast to drive once you get them figured out.

Reaction score
I think I would have to lengthen the truck a bit for that. What are some options? I know the military engine have automatics behind them. but what came behind them on the civilian market?

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
good question. I don't know. Doubt that a zf-6 would bolt up. You could always call or e-mail advanced adpters. They're pretty good they should have an idea. advancedadapters.com

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Those old two-cycle diesels will be hard to find. 8V71 is the model of the engine; eight cylinders with 71 cubic inches each. They are around, start by asking diesel mechanics.

Dave
Actually, the 318 Detroit is in teh 53 series, and is a 6 cylinder. You can get a 6-53 inline, or a 6v53 v-6, which is what they used in busses a lot back in the 60s and 70s.

It won't be a powerhouse, as it is 180 horse naturally aspirated (unless you consider the 2 psi blower to be other than natural, but those were for scavenge effect, not for power), but they rev quick and sound cooler than cool.

That said, I would imagine you could soup it up a bit with turbochargers and big fuel. Maybe 250 to 300 horse in a light duty application??? I dunno. Would be cool to see.

if memory serves, I remember seeing one wedged into a 70's ford 4x4. They aren't small engines by any means. Make a 7.3 powerstroke look like a tinker toy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14