Looking for information on a Detroit 318.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Your "winky eyebrows" guy makes me think that you are looking at this blower for a power adder. Sorry to disappoint, but the 6v53 (or any two stroke multi-cylinder engine) requires a blower to run. Instead of using case pressure to scavenge like a one-lung 2-stroker, multi-cylinder engines require a blower in order to properly scavenge the cylinders. Pressure from the intake pushes the exhaust out of the exhaust port, and so forth. (I know, outboard motors don't have blowers. They have partitioned blocks that either isolate the cylinder or pairs of cylinders, which is why they almost always have one carb per cylinder or per pair of cylinders, different setup).

Anyway, the short story long is that that blower won't add power to your detroit. it will just allow it to run. It won't run without it.

If you want to add artificial aspiration to make power, it's a turbocharger for you, my friend.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You explained it very well, Hoss. The blower will not add horsepower, but the turbocharger will, and it will add it in a BIG way.

Dave

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Actually, the 318 Detroit is in teh 53 series, and is a 6 cylinder. You can get a 6-53 inline, or a 6v53 v-6, which is what they used in busses a lot back in the 60s and 70s.

It won't be a powerhouse, as it is 180 horse naturally aspirated (unless you consider the 2 psi blower to be other than natural, but those were for scavenge effect, not for power), but they rev quick and sound cooler than cool.

That said, I would imagine you could soup it up a bit with turbochargers and big fuel. Maybe 250 to 300 horse in a light duty application??? I dunno. Would be cool to see.

That was my point to begin with, the Detroit is a reliable motor but the specs he is looking at are 180 hp stock, pretty much right on que with the 7.3 Turbo IDI (which is a pert near bolt in application) and will be a lot harder to mod than the 12V cummins which has 500-600 hp potential.:dunno

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
That was my point to begin with, the Detroit is a reliable motor but the specs he is looking at are 180 hp stock, pretty much right on que with the 7.3 Turbo IDI (which is a pert near bolt in application) and will be a lot harder to mod than the 12V cummins which has 500-600 hp potential.:dunno

But the IDI turbo and the Cummins don't make all that noise.:lmao:lmao

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The DT466 is another overweight under performing contender that is intended to go under the hood and between the frame rails of medium duty trucks. You could do the same mash and go install as the Detroit but I seriously think you will be left wanting after its all said and done.

However, your goal of something different is admirable so in the end if that is what you are truly after.......... go for it.

Reaction score
I see your point. As I said before, I am new to this side of the house. Perhaps I should look a little deeper. My original choice was a 7.3 (T444E I think?) out of a school bus. I wonder what kind of Real world power I can get out of one of those. :confused:

Bythe way, we just bought this do do a conversion to my wifes' truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg