lots of white smoke/turbo maybe??

StrokinHarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i was leavin work the other day and my truck lost most of its power and white smoke was barreling out the tailpipe.... so i emptied the water/fuel seperator and a little trash came out so i figured it was bad fuel and water also... well ive had to empty it a couple times.... but now i ran it almost dry and bought new fuel..... but now if i dont let the truck warm completely up for at least 15-20 min it wont run right and blows a lot of white smoke... but once it warms up it quits smoking bad... ive also noticed the turbo lags a lot more than it used to so im thinking its the turbo??? :dunno any ideas???

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
smoke on a diesel is the same as a gasser..
white = moisture
blue = oil
black = fuel

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
White smoke on startup is also an indication of incomplete combustion (unburnt fuel), but it shouldnt take 15-20 minutes to warm her up either.

Zilla 58

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
White smoke... mabey an injector, but more likely your getting coolant in the intake through the EGR cooler. could also be a head gasket, but normally they leak compression into the water jacket. Pull the EGR valve out and if its clean or you see water below it theres the problem.
Good luck
Zilla

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having the same issue this morning. This morning was 10-20 degrees coolerthan usual summer temps in houston. Mine had white smoke like a chimney, so I tested the computer with my programmer and it didnt read any problems. I attempted driving down the street and it poured out even worse when the turbo wound up. I tried uninstalling my program, and it still poured smoke, but after about 10 minutes the smoke stopped while I was doing about 40 down the feeder. After it stopped it didnt not start again, and all that came out was a little black smoke when I left a stop.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Back in the year 1 BD66 (Before Dominator 66), my truck was smoking like a BBQ smoker. I got a wiff of the smoke, and it smelled like oil vs. fuel. I then noticed raw oil dripping from the tailpipe tip, not good. :eek:

After pondering the situation a day or two. I came up with a "plan".

1. Pull the turbo.
2. Inspect the up-pipes for oil.
-If oil present: New motor/major rebuild required. Mrs TG ain't going to be happy. :witch
-If no oil is present, it ain't coming from the motor, proceed to next step.

3. Inspect outlet/down pipe flange of turbo for oil.

-If oil is present, the turbo has crapped a bearing and is spewing oil from the center section and out the exhaust system.

-Replace turbo or rebuild center bearing section, either of which is a lot cheaper than a new motor/major rebuild. :yahoo:yahoo

StrokinHarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having the same issue this morning. This morning was 10-20 degrees coolerthan usual summer temps in houston. Mine had white smoke like a chimney, so I tested the computer with my programmer and it didnt read any problems. I attempted driving down the street and it poured out even worse when the turbo wound up. I tried uninstalling my program, and it still poured smoke, but after about 10 minutes the smoke stopped while I was doing about 40 down the feeder. After it stopped it didnt not start again, and all that came out was a little black smoke when I left a stop.

thats the same thing mines been doing..... i pulled the EGR out and it was gunked up with soot really bad cleaned it..... now theres no loss of power but it still smokes like a train w/ white smoke so idk wat to check now any ideas?

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, if mine does it again tonight when I leave work then I plan to drop my truck off at the dealer tomorrow morning.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
strokin and ND-

hate to say it but a trip to the dealer may be short order. does not sound good. ask me how i know......egr/egr cooler/turbo/head gaskets/injector(s) - could be a combination of any one of those... mine was worse!!!

good luck and let us know the situation/result

p.s. i hope you took care when you cleaned the egr as some holes do not need crap in them.....

StrokinHarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
strokin and ND-

hate to say it but a trip to the dealer may be short order. does not sound good. ask me how i know......egr/egr cooler/turbo/head gaskets/injector(s) - could be a combination of any one of those... mine was worse!!!

good luck and let us know the situation/result

p.s. i hope you took care when you cleaned the egr as some holes do not need crap in them.....

yea i know thats what im afraid of:dunno:dunno:dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58