lots of white smoke/turbo maybe??

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
White smoke

White smoke on cold startup may be due to inoperative glow plugs. Does the truck seem to start harder than it used to?

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has had low coolant issues since ive owned it. Several people on here said that was probably caused by my tuner though.

As for the glow plugs, start up does not seem to be that much different. But its possible that thestart up has slowed down over time, gradually.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More Info: Today I let it warm up for about 10 minutes, but it didnt seem to make much diffrence. The white smoke stopped about the same time as yesterday, which is once I got on the feeder road at around 40mph. Once it stopped, it never started again. About 2.5hours later i went back out to the truck and cranked it up and there was no smoke and the temp gauge was on te cold line.

This is making me think it has nothing to do with engine temp. And since it only seems to happen after sitting fo 8 or so hours, maybe something is leaking into the engine while its sitting, like coolant.

StrokinHarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More Info: Today I let it warm up for about 10 minutes, but it didnt seem to make much diffrence. The white smoke stopped about the same time as yesterday, which is once I got on the feeder road at around 40mph. Once it stopped, it never started again. About 2.5hours later i went back out to the truck and cranked it up and there was no smoke and the temp gauge was on te cold line.

This is making me think it has nothing to do with engine temp. And since it only seems to happen after sitting fo 8 or so hours, maybe something is leaking into the engine while its sitting, like coolant.

that sounds about what like mine is doing if u find any coolant leaks let me know because ill check that on mine

StrokinHarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke on cold startup may be due to inoperative glow plugs. Does the truck seem to start harder than it used to?

just had glow plugs replaced last winter but no it starts fine it just smokes really bad if u dont let it warm up real good

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
here is something i want you guys to try......

when you park your truck for the night, immediatly (and VERY CAREFULLY) depressurize the cooling system by removing the cap. put the cap on before you start it in the morning, and see if it changes the smoke situation at all.

a slow coolant leak on the head gaskets, exhaust, or even upper cylinder walls will be burnt/blown away quickly while the engine is running hot down the road. when you shut it off, the pressurized coolant just pisses into (wherever) and "loads up". then you start it and have a buttload of coolant to steam away (thick white smoke upon startup).

atk

Reaction score
here is something i want you guys to try......

When you park your truck for the night, immediatly (and very carefully) depressurize the cooling system by removing the cap. Put the cap on before you start it in the morning, and see if it changes the smoke situation at all.

A slow coolant leak on the head gaskets, exhaust, or even upper cylinder walls will be burnt/blown away quickly while the engine is running hot down the road. When you shut it off, the pressurized coolant just pisses into (wherever) and "loads up". Then you start it and have a buttload of coolant to steam away (thick white smoke upon startup).

ditto....x2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58