Low Sulfur Diesel Warning

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Tbar said:
When they moved to Low Sulfer diesel in 1993 it caused problems in some engines............
Not in the engines, in the natural rubber seals on some older trucks. They were worried that it would cause fuel system leaks in pre-viton era trucks. For the most part, there wasn't much of a problem, but there sure was a lot of fretting about it up tot he day of release.

Wonder what we have to look forward to with our pre 2007 engines using the USD.............
See my previous post. Additionally, it looks like the diesel option will go from 5k to about 8k, your fuel economy will drop due to restrictions in the exhaust, massive amounts of EGR, and an extra injector dumping fuel but not making any power with it. Lots of electronics, in some cases an extra turbo. However, the good thing is that everyone is going to HPCR injection, which helps a lot with all of the above, but does not offset it.

What did they change in the 2007 engines.......??? :dunno
see my and Daryl's previous posts. Massive EGR, 2-micron exhaust filter, catalysts, HPCR, etc

Tbar[/QUOTE]

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbar said:
Moving from 500ppm to 50ppm..........:confused:
Tbar
OK, that's what I thought the fuel was going to be. Someone had mentioned on another thread that it will be like gasoline was when unleaded was added in place of leaded. The stations will have to sell two types of diesel indefinitely, or until more biodiesel is available. I agree with you about buying a diesel for economy. If it gets to the point where there's not much difference in mileage, then yes, gassers would be the best option, IMHO. The government should require more biodiesel be produced and sold, then maybe all these extra emissions controls wouldn't be needed.

j.j

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well are we going to be getting smogged in some sort of way in the future? With these new motors needing to make so much power to compensate for the restrictions in their exhaust/computers/etc, as long as we dont get smogged, those engines would be insane with the mods that some of us already perform on our motors, right?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
maybe they wil have two diesel pumps now as well a low sulphur and an ulsd

sort of a HIGH TEST and a Regular
:D

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are required to label the pumps as to what is in them because of the infastructure present at fuel stations today I do not see any changes taking place that would indicate a secondary set of pumps being added. Since the majority of stations have a single large tank or a series of large tanks daisy chained together to serve as their holding tank they are not going to add additional fuel pumps & holding tanks.

So Robert unfortunately I don't see you dream comming to fruition.

You will see slowly that the stickers that are appearing on the pumps that are saying LSD right now slowly changing to stickers that say ULSD. And the fuel in the tanks will change before the sticker on the pump changes. But the price @ the pump should be a good indicatior of what you're putting in the tank.

It will be a situation where you can run the ULSD in the older trucks The IDI trucks will see the greatest problems but it won't be the end of the world. The OBS 7.3 I'd expect to see some problems with fuel pumps going out simply because of less lubrication and the age that most of the pumps are anyway. The all PSD 7.3s will have a slightly accellerated injector wear without but not to the point that it will greatly impact you. The older trucks with already worn injectors will be due for rebuilds sooner.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
thanks brandon...
some how i feel so much better :( :D
Maybe we wil see Hi-test BIO next to the plain old #2 fuel
I think the big three are on the verge of recanting their position on b5 only.
look at all the b20, b95, and b100 making its way to the markplace, except for alabama :dunno
we are heading to florida in the am, i will keep my eyes peeled for bio.:D

dpantazis

Reaction score
2 cycle oil

in the 'old' days, i used to run a bit of 2 cylce oil to add lubricicity to fuel in the vw. i can not remeber the dosage right off, but it seemed to help. i would try it in a pinch if no bio was avaiable. i wonder if the IDI guys use it?

one thing that we have not discussed is the combustion characteristic of the newer fuels. its a known fact that bio ignites earlier an can affect emissions. the sensor folks are working on it-

http://www.beru.com/english/aktuelles/presse/20040722-PI167.php

NOx reductions can also be accomplished moving the injection cycle towards the "late" or retarded side of the timing scale. this would also lower cylinder temps and could help fuel economy.

Mercedes with their Bluetec V6 motor is doing some interesting things for thier emmisions. iirc they use a consumable reactive catalyst. in the bigger diesel trucks, they use a urea injection system on the exhaust (can you say pee). don't scoff at the Bluetec- it will leave you standing still wondering why the car does not smoke!

i think when the new fuels come out, those of us with chips may be up for a reflash to make best use of the fuel.

dennis

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dpantazis said:
NOx reductions can also be accomplished moving the injection cycle towards the "late" or retarded side of the timing scale. this would also lower cylinder temps and could help fuel economy.

dennis

Can you say "BLUE CPS" ? I knew you could. The blue cps has been proven to retard timing in the powerstroke motor. That comment above would indicate why people say they see less smoke, better fuel mileage.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have probably ran at least 10-15 tanks of the ULSD in my truck. seems fine for now. but if bio can add up to 60% lubercity @ a 1% mix rate, I am going to have to look into getting it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58