Low Sulfur Diesel Warning

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
j.j said:
Well are we going to be getting smogged in some sort of way in the future?
We already do. Some areas do not, but I take my truck in to get sniffed every two years.
With these new motors needing to make so much power to compensate for the restrictions in their exhaust/computers/etc, as long as we dont get smogged, those engines would be insane with the mods that some of us already perform on our motors, right?
I assume you're talking about disabling/removing the restrictive emissions equipment? It won't be quite so easy as gutting the cat was on pre-07 trucks. Particulate filters require PCM monitoring, have their own fuel line and injector, and sometimes even a spark plug to ignite the regen cycle. To remove the PM filter, then, you will have codes from the monitors not monitoring properly, an injector that you would have to re-route back to the fuel tank so it fired back into the tank (really the only way i can see it, maybe other ideas will come up some day), and possibly othther things to re-route, fake in, and lie to to get the truck to not throw codes and operate properly. On top of that, the PM filter costs LOTS of money (I've heard 3K) so it isn't like you'll want to wreck it, just in case you ever have to put it back on.

The new EGR systems that I've seen proposed are not just little add-on valves that you can disconnect and call it good. They are integral with the engine, to the point of having ports in the heads specifically for EGR.

So, I'm guessing that disabling the new emissions equipment is going to be a lot more difficult than in years past. Normally, i would be chastizing for the idea of removing emissions equipment, but since no one has ever shown that PM is harmful in any way at the levels produced by diesel engines, and that NOx may very well not be as bad as we thought way back when (areas with higher NOx levels can have LESS smog, so it seems that there is more to it than we understand at the moment...) I am kind of on the fence here, since the trade off for reducing pollutants we cannot even prove are trouble, we are reducing fuel economy, which i think is the more important issue in this day and age. Just my .02. I'm sure there are much smarter men than me running things up there at EPA, who would probably laugh at me for saying what I just said, but that still doesn't help me understand why we are sacrificing fuel economy for EXTREMELY diminished returns in pollution control.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Here ya go! :D

LSDW.jpg

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so here's another spin on the same deal EPA regulations require that emissions systems be good for 100k but there is some age requirement as well 7 or 10 years. It also provides that the mfg must warranty all emissions equipment for that time span.

So how are they going to weasel their way out of emissions warranty when someone puts 5 gal of the old stuff in the new trucks. Especially if the tanks are labeled as ULSD but have higher than 50 ppm sulfur becuase they havent' cycled them enough?

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when the new trucks hit the roads this fall the low sulfer is supposedly supposted to be gone from the pumps.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
jopes said:
when the new trucks hit the roads this fall the low sulfer is supposedly supposted to be gone from the pumps.

HAHAHAHHAHA, Yea RIGHT! :rolleyes:

I can see that happening SMOOOOOTHLY! :roflmao

THey be dropping like flies!!! :rolleyes:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
this weekend
every station we stopped at to get fuel had the sticker, this is not approved for 2007 engines......
so if you have a 07 truck, what are you to do????
i got my 06 in july of 05 and july is just around the corner????
hmmmmm, guess i need to stock up on additives, or buy a bio farm :confused:

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because 07 vehicles wont be available until the fuel pumps have converted. Ford has delayed the 07 so far back, it will be considered an 08 truck!

California is the only exception, they require the new fuel NOW, whereas the rest of the nation has until this fall to get converted.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Because 07 vehicles wont be available until the fuel pumps have converted. Ford has delayed the 07 so far back, it will be considered an 08 truck!

California is the only exception, they require the new fuel NOW, whereas the rest of the nation has until this fall to get converted.

so ford could sue for lost revenue of vehicle sales, epa mandated the engine changes, but hte fuel guys are slow to react????:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58