modifying 94-95 timing cover for 96-up HPOP

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well :censored:!!

I stripped the HPOP mounting bolt.

I had the same leak I always get when I run the new 3 hole gasket. Thought I would check the torque, and loosened them so that I could get a good reading. Center bolt tightened fine, the outside one is shot.

I guess I will be taking the Jeep to CA now!

-mad -mad -mad

I am NOT looking forward to re-tapping that bolt hole.

Well, I am signing off for a while. I dont want to think about my truck right now.

:cussing: :boohoo -mad

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
i stripped a HPOP mounting bolt hole in my old motor.get some heli coils and itll be fine.it was very simple to heli coil the bolt hole

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what size is it? I only have standard and closest I come to it is 5/16-24..

I have not gone out there to look yet...

On edit.. it is 8mm x 1.25. Off to NAPA..

Last edited:

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it fixed. I went ahead and heli-coiled both bolts just in case.. that was interesting. I had to find a short drill, that was narrow as well, and then cut down the drill bit by over 1" Got it all in and snug. I think one of the problems is I need to tighten down the center bolt first. Then torque down the outside one.. ?? donno..

Anyway, it still seeps a bit of oil, but I can live with that. Wish I knew why it leaked...

Anyway, lesse how it holds together on my 1300 mile trip.
-popcorn
Sheesh.. dont like wrenching on it and then taking off on a trip but that is what AAA is for I guess..

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I made it to San Jose without any incident. Truck is running fine.. It just leaks from the HPOP gasket. -mad It leaked before I did this mod when I first installed the SD HPOP with the later gasket, and went away once I put the early gasket in, so I guess I should not be surprised that it is leaking again. I will work on the leak when I get home.

But... after 700 miles, truck is running great. :sweet Since I am driving it each day I can not really test the leakdown but once I get home, that will be easy to check.

Chris

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it back in one piece. I put on almost 2000 miles on the truck and as I said before, only problem I had was that darn oil leak. I will be trying to fix that in a few weeks, but I have other things that have to get done first.

I put a bunch of pics of the mod on my site here:
http://nigh.org/gallery/v/Chris/95Truck/HPOP/
and the HowTo:
http://www.nigh.org/HPOP_Mod/HPOP_reservoir_HowTo.htm

I will be parking the truck for just about 3 weeks soon, so I will get a good chance to see if all is working as it should be.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
the oil leak is wierd.mine doesnt leak a drop of oil with the newer gasket on the 95 timing cover :dunno

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my HPOP gasket surface is not flat. I tried putting a thin layer of rtv on the gasket, and it oozed out everywhere but where the leak is. I guess I will have to take the pump down to have it machined flat. I am fairly certain that the timing cover is flat. That is a machined surface.. the HPOP was not a machined surface.

Like I said earlier, it leaked with the new gasket long time ago. I solved it that time by just putting the old gasket in. That makes me think that I have a high spot where the new gasket material goes.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
just figured i would give a quicky update to this and bring it back to the top so that the newbies can read it.its been a little over 7 months now since i have done this mod and no problems yet.fires right up every morning even after sitting for a week:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track