modifying 94-95 timing cover for 96-up HPOP

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
a dremel with a high speed cutter will work.its what i used but i had too many people bothering me when trying to do it.make sure you get the right oil pressure sensor for the reservoir.for some reason it was changed in 96 and it seems ford cant even get the correct sensor as well as advance auto parts and autozone.the thread size is different on it.

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok rich, hows it going on this? I assume the engine is running ok other than that funny sound you posted about?

I am ready to start this now, and tried calling you, but I guess you are beating the heat somewhere.

1. do I need to pull the fuel filter and assy or can I leave it on? Looks like I can leave it on to me. Just want to make sure.

2. other than the pressure sensor, is there anything else I should be keeping an eye out for? I already have a spare gasket.

:hail :hail

Thanks!

Chris

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
that post want about the clicking sound its makeing its actually about the way its running.if you listen closely you can hear it skip and while it is skipping the CCT says system pass.i cant see how this mod would be causing my issues.

back to this.to swap the HPOP you gotta remove the fuel filter can.but while doing this mod you have to remove the HPOP to put a screw in that one hole.

just make sure you have the correct oil pressure sensor.for some reason ford changed it in 96 and nobody includeing ford can seem to get the correct sensor.the threads are different as well as the 96-97 has an oring to seal it.

if you want give me a call sometime tomorrow.did you call today?i know i missed a cal earlier.if i dont answer leave a message and ill call right back.or just hang up and call again.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
oh and i have only 4 injectors that squirt a good amount of oil out of them the other 4 squirt non to very little.

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
to swap the HPOP you gotta remove the fuel filter can.but while doing this mod you have to remove the HPOP to put a screw in that one hole.

OH.. shoot, forgot about the drainback valve hole. Ok.. yea, I got it.:oops:

Cool.. I will be taking my truck down to California in a week and a half, so I want to get this done before then. I will call ya again today!

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ok call some time later this afternoon.ill most likely be hangin at the shop doing nothing or at my moms house doing nothing.its 11:47AM my time right now.so cal sometime around 4:00 PM my time

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.. I am working on this now. I will post the entire story here later, but for now, things are looking good. I modified a 11/16" spade bit by grinding off the tips flat and it worked like a charm for creating the recessed area for the new o-ring. Since the '95 timing cover does not have a deep enough groove on the passenger side, I will be re-using the shorty gasket with the new o-ring and sealed with the IH grey RTV.

A picture of the bit is here:
http://nigh.org/gallery/v/Chris/95Truck/HPOP/DSCF2035.JPG.html

and the recess for the o-ring here:
http://nigh.org/gallery/v/Chris/95Truck/HPOP/DSCF2036.JPG.html

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arghh... I thought I had the 3 hole gasket. Called around and found Northside Ford, they have a parts dept open to 11:30 PM! cool.. off to get the darn gasket. Other than that, I am all done. I think I may just stay up and get it finished...

Updates to follow..

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr