Moving to DFW, TX in December - Help planning route

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Ok, some may know i have been looking at moving to TX and I even took a trip down to the DFW area to do some house hunting. Today is the closing date so it is official, now I just need to move all my junk there and I have a small 1 month window to do it all in.

I will be back in the states on Friday December 15 and have that following weekend to get my Penske truck and trailer (to tow my brothers Trans-Am) and pack everything. We leave either Sunday night or first thing Monday morning. We have two days to drive down, one day to unpack and we fly back on Thursday (tickets already bought).

My question is..... what route should I take? We will be going from Camden, DE to Arlington, TX which the direct route goes straight through the Appellation Mountains. Is this a bad idea being its mid December? The other route I am thinking about is south on I95 until I hit I20 west in South Carolina which goes straight to Dallas. It is a little longer but no mountains. Which ever route I take we will drive 1,000 miles then spend the night and finish the rest the following day.

I know quite a few of you do traveling so I figured this would be a logical place to ask. Once all this is done I am flying back, having Christmas with my family, taking my brother to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra in Baltimore then doing another trip with my truck (ATV in the bed) and mustang on a trailer. My brother will be going with me both trips so i will have a navigator and somebody to take over driving so I can get a break.

Any input is always welcome!
-Mike

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my .03 Mike but being it's in December ? I'd go the I-95 to I-20 route. When the date actualy gets here... you may want to even look at I-95 to I-10, then back up to DFW.

:dunno

Joe

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
if it was me, i would take I81 down to knoxville, tn and them hit I40 west which will take you into memphis, tn and then into little rock, ar and then take I30 west all the way into arlington, tx

on mapquest, they have this route planned out.

it covers over 22 hours and a little over 14oo miles.

i believe would save alot of miles and time, and i dont think the weather would be much to worry about once you come into TN.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BIG JOE said:
Just my .03 Mike but being it's in December ? I'd go the I-95 to I-20 route. When the date actualy gets here... you may want to even look at I-95 to I-10, then back up to DFW.

:dunno

Joe

Bama & Mike... The reason I picked the I-95/I-20/I-10 route was because in 98 we picked our Daughter & G-kids up in Hampton Va to bring them out here while the son in law was overseas.. It started SNOWING in Roanoke Va and did'nt stop SNOWING til we got east of Kingman AZ:eek: :eek:

6 days to get back here. Interstates closed in 4 states. 100 year storm in Gallup Nm..2 dayz there, snowed in in a KOA. No.2 daughter 8 months Preg, with 3 G-kids in a 11ft Camper...

I'm a quik learner... Stay close to the Coasts.. in the Wintertime;) :roflmao :roflmao :eek: :eek:

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
I guess that is really my question, is the weather going to be an issue in Mid december if i go over the mountians.

My brother and i drove from Delaware to Missouri and back (in my truck) when i sold my Saleen and we got a taste of the mountians. I dont want to get stuck because time IS an issue.

Big Joe,
I think I10 is a little excessive, i looked at a nice topographical map and I20 competely misses all the mountians. However, on my second trip (the one where we are taking my truck, atv, and car) i am going to visit a friend down in Tallahasse, FL so we will be heading down that direction. Lots of driving :)

-Mike

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yer absolutly right Mike, I-10 would be Way out of the way but Weather will be the Biggy. Real Time Weather during the time of yer move.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Congrats on the move to Texas there Mike:thumbs Myself also been in the truck drivers seat I'd take the same route Bama mentioned but during the daylight hours on snow covered areas.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who drives for UPS and she and her team driver leave Dallas every Tuesday morning at 12:35 am and head out to Baltimore DE.
Bama's map is the way that they go. Last year they only went the other way one time, because of snow & ice.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Mike K said:
Ok, some may know i have been looking at moving to TX and I even took a trip down to the DFW area to do some house hunting. Today is the closing date so it is official, now I just need to move all my junk there and I have a small 1 month window to do it all in.
My mother in law has a house in arlington for sale (that's right between D and FW)

She's asking 75K. 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 1-car garage with fenced back yard. Brick. Nice little place....

Interested?? :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14