No Fan

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
After thinking about it for a couple of years(this thread is old)I finally tried the no fan mod. Driving around town with the winter front zipped all the way up the temp stayed right on the "R" just like with the fan. Current temp is only a little above zero so I expect to have to open the winter front up a little sooner than I use to when the sun comes out. On the highway I was able to get the temp up to the "M" while pulling a little hill with the hammer down, once again with the grill completely covered. When I got home I idled it up to 1300 and let it run for a while. At 1300 the temp hovered right on "M". I then hit the EBPV switch and within a few minutes the temp had climbed up to "A" and I got nervous and shut the EBPV off. Continued idling at 1300 the temp stayed between "A" and "M". Once I dropped it to a dead idle the temp went back down to "M" and stayed there. I doubt I will have the peace of mind to idle the truck up and leave it like I use to so I think a electric may the way I will go. Once the temp hits -40 we will see how the high idle/EBPV heats it up with no fan. Should know in a few weeks if warm-up time is reduced with no fan.

I did really like the way the engine sounds without the big propeller spinning. Hard to believe but you can almost feel the extra acceleration from not having to spin the fan. MPG increase?? ... Time will tell..

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took mine off a few weeks ago. I'm in northern VA and the temps have been 30-75. I even towed a mustang to the track 1.5 hours there and back, no worries unless in stop and go and the converter can't lock up. The 75* day wasn't good on the ac at redlights. I'm in the process of wiring up two Taurus fans. One on a variable controller and the other to come on when ac is on.
Jesse

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
Anyone with some simple fab skills may wanna try the set up I came up with or use mine as a guide to customize your specific needs;tu

They work! electric fans article

couple pics....click the linky for the entire job and results :D

HPIM2431.jpg

HPIM2418.jpg

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So geo, the Windstar fan came with a bigger motor and you had to buy two smaller motors to fit in the Windstar shroud? Are those smaller motors the Ford/Siemens Deka motors that are on the Mark VIII and Taurus?
Jesse

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
So geo, the Windstar fan came with a bigger motor and you had to buy two smaller motors to fit in the Windstar shroud? Are those smaller motors the Ford/Siemens Deka motors that are on the Mark VIII and Taurus?
Jesse

Jesse, negetive on having to "buy" two smaller fans......the factory Windstar set up has one motor that IMVHO protrudes too close to the vacum pulley and requires "re-clocking" by drilling new holes for the fasteners. As far as the the smaller motors being from a Taurus/Windstar ---yes the flat motor is stock to them.....see pic {this pic is of someone elses result that I used as a base for mine.}

bulkymotor-1.jpg

What I suggested in my article was to purchase a second shroud assy from the bone yard....this will give you the second,flatter motor and cover AND a second shroud if you flub up while adapting the area where the motor mounts and another fan if you flub the tabs when grinding them down :D

I was able to get both units from the local u-pullit for under $100.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I got a little warmer than I like running without a fan. It was -10 out yet the temp got up to the A in normal while sitting in traffic. Not much you can do without a fan sitting in traffic but sit and watch it climb. I did open up the winter front a little and got it to cool right back down but I want a electric fan before summer hits. There is no way I am putting the stock unit back on. I really like the faster warm-up times and extra power/acceleration without it not even to mention the noise.

Anyone tried a fan from the 90`s Lincoln Continentals? The fan total diameter is close to 17 inches. The shroud measures 17.5 inches by 22 inches. It is about 5 inches deep. Rated at 2500 CFM it is not alot but I think 1000 CFM would do it considering that most of the time NO fan is fine.

I also think these fans might fit just right but dang Jaguar performance upgrades are expensive ;)

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try a fan from a Mark VIII or Thunderbird (with the 4.6) they are 18.5x22 rated at almost 4000 cfm's. The Taurus fan from the boxy ones is about the same size and flows about 3500 (I think my numbers are right...early morning). I think I am going to put on one Taurus van verticlaly and see how it does and possibly mount one next to it if it is inadequate.
Jesse

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
possibly mount one next to it if it is inadequate.
Jesse

Most guys do go with dual Taurus fans but I am thinking one fan that is a little bigger than the Taurus would be more than enough for me. If it hits 80 degrees here it is a scorcher so I don't need quite as much fan as some. I use my AC about twice a year ;)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg