Oil Change Experience............

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I quit going to them when they replaced the drain plug and did not tighten it properly. I got home to see a trail of ATF going down the street. The plug was still there, but it was loose. I was surprised it did not fall out.

Dave

trouble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was at one of these places visiting one of my friends that worked there and saw a boy start a new Duramax with no oil back in it. His buddy freaked out and told him to shut it down pretty quick. Needless to say, I've never taken my truck to this garage.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a shame that our work force has become so nonchalant about the quality of their work. This generation for the most part seem to have the attitude that do as little as you can get away with to keep from losing their job. This generation is all about WIFM (what's in it for me). There seems to be no more Company Man attitude.

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Get REAL----These oil change Grease Monkeys are just that stupid monkeys!! DO YOUR OWN WHEN YOU CAN ,and you'll KNOW IT'S DONE RIGHT!

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new F250 company truck for one of my superintendents back in 2007. It came in before my new truck came in so I drove it for a month until mine came in. I carried it to an oil change place that we use a good bit and when I got the ticket back I was charged for 20 qts of oil. When I confronted them about the fact that the engine did not take that much oil they checked it and said that was what they put in it and that it was not over filled. Cheat you with a bulk dispenser gauge at $5 per extra quart.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I've spent the better part of the last couple days wondering if I should chime in on this thread at all... or how, should I choose to..
because I really support these bitchfest threads

The repair industry is short of techs.. general techs, specialty techs, lube techs.. by some estimates, 50,000

Yes, I said lube "techs"

Even something as seemingly innocuous as an oil change has become a specialty operation. Gone are the days when two different weights oil, five filters, and a grease gun, and you could cover 99% of the vehicles.

Now, the same vehicle, the same year, may have two different oil filters on the same engine (Ford Escape Hybrid) based on engine code (ones a canister, the other a spin-on).

Fluids can differ within manufacturer, don't even get me started on tire pressures vs handling characteristics..

And because even trained, qualified, certified technicians are still looked upon as "grease monkeys" by the public, pay remains performance based rather than hourly or salary, and high schools nationwide are slashing vocational ed programs to balance budgets; the industry is forced to hire the first "Generation Wii" that comes through the door and train them, which costs money, or train them on the job, which takes time. By the end of which, the employee has become bored with the job and quality is reflected in work habits, then the employee quits to go work at McDonald's and make more money and get better benefits.

Now let's talk about tools.
A decent NEW laptop computer is what, $500?
And with proper training, you could expect to earn what, $18,000. to $22,000 as your first year as an accountant?
Take that same $500 and buy an impact gun, air ratchet, sets of sockets for each, metric and SAE wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, hammers and a box large enough... and see how far that same $500 goes toward your first $10,000 - $15,000 annual income.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I bought a new F250 company truck for one of my superintendents back in 2007. It came in before my new truck came in so I drove it for a month until mine came in. I carried it to an oil change place that we use a good bit and when I got the ticket back I was charged for 20 qts of oil. When I confronted them about the fact that the engine did not take that much oil they checked it and said that was what they put in it and that it was not over filled. Cheat you with a bulk dispenser gauge at $5 per extra quart.

I would have made them look up the capacity. When it said 15 quarts, ask them where in the truck did the put the other five?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr