Oil Change Experience............

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
The saga continues.........today I saw a few drops of oil on the driveway so I looked underneath and saw oil coming off the filter.

I should have just put a wrench on it and tightened it myself but I didn't. Took it back to Jiffy-Lube and told them to give it an 1/8 of a turn. The 300# grease monkey put a strap wrench on it.....put his weight into it and got 3/4 of a turn. Guess I'm going to have fun taking it off when I change it next time. :dunno

I am such a gluten for punishment.......... :confused: :dizzy

Tbar

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I work with a older guy whose real job is with the epa. His job is directly involved with oil. He said that more than not the "bulk oil" that these quick lube places (no specific one) uses recycled oil. And I mean filtered used oil. And they are getting away with it. Its because the modern oil lasts longer than the 3000mi intervals we are all used to. So technically there is still life left in the oil. And if they filter it they have a super cheap source of oil.

I have read threads like this on so many forums, but I still went to one for the first time this winter. It was literally below 0. And I could not believe what this guy was telling me. I mean I had to tell him how much oil the car took, and after that he tried to tell me the trans fluid was bad even after I told him I just changed it myself. All I know is I am not waiting for 3000 miles for the next oil change. I just pray I can get the oil plug of and the filter too.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if they filter it they have a super cheap source of oil.

if thats true then they wouldn't need oil just filtering services lol

personally it sounds a little strange but nothing would surprise me with those places

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing side work for extra cash. Had a guy bring me a car I could not get the drain plug off. After talking with him he said juffy change the oil in it. I told him to go back and have them change the oil. Well they could not get it off to. They even put a impack gun on it nothing. So I have the car now and it's getting a new oil pan and drain plug. Funny how a 20 dollor oil change ends up costing 600 buck to fix. There are some people that it should be againest the law to have tool.:hail

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I wouldnt trust ANYONE to work on my cars unless I dont have the proper tools like alignment machines or tire machines. I hear way too many horror stories about oil drain plugs not tight and plugs comin out blowin the motor up. They need to do a better job of screening people instead of hiring every day smoes off the street. My gma took her cougar to get tires put on it and they broke her hub cap cause it had those fake lug nuts on the outside and he used an impact to take them off! :lmao. I mean come on!!!! Its always cheaper just to do the work yerself instead of someone else and they screw it up costing you more, especially if they dont think they messed up. Yea it might take ya longer but taking your time on it saves you in the end. Plus you get satisfaction from workin on yer own stuff and you know its done right. :sweet

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
who pays ?

He's paid me to do it, and now he's going after juffy. It's done and gone and I got paid so, I'm happy and he has the old pan. So there should not be any problem for him to get his money.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe they turned him away I also can't believe the skinny bung of an oil pan could out hold an impact wrench without stripping or ripping out

crazy

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't believe they turned him away I also can't believe the skinny bung of an oil pan could out hold an impact wrench without stripping or ripping out

crazy

I was shock that it was stuck like that. But if I had got it out and the threads would have been trashed and could have fallen out or leaked so best fix was to replace the pan. He wont be going back to juffy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track