Opinions needed

Is the $500 difference of a new 1-ton dually worth getting it over a 3/4 ton SRW?

• 2500HD SRW (Single Rear Wheel)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 3500HD SRW (Single Rear Wheel)

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • 3500HD DRW (Dual Rear Wheels)

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
As I stated in a previous thread, my days with Superduty in the driveway are numbered.

Because of the fact I strongly feel the recent Superduties are so unattractive stylewise, I'll be getting something else.

For reasons of having a GM employee discount program through work, I am zero-ing in on a Chevy/GMC.

Mrs TG and I will probably get a new camper in the next few years. What it will be, a fifth wheel or another travel trailer, I don't know yet. All I know is it will likely be at least some what heavier than the 5,000ish LBS one we have now.

I've been pricing a 2500HD Work truck and a 3500HD DRW Work Truck. Surprisingly the price difference is only about $500.

That brings up my question, is that little bit more, a deal too good to pass up to get the 1-ton dually? Or will the 1-ton dually get such lousy MPG in comparison to the 3/4 ton SRW truck that it's not worth it? Or should I maybe go middle of the road and get the 1-ton SRW?

I don't know what sort of MPG penalty one typically sees with a dually. So any HELPFUL input is appreciated. I don't need any "get another Ford" comments, so please keep those to yourself.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is your money and your choice. As far as to which truck to get I would take into consideration the extra two tires on the rear axle. If you take into account the mileage loss of any dually AND the extra tire costs, I would stick with the SRW truck. I have never owned a DRW truck, but I have several friends who own them. They all say they are tough trucks, but not really worth the extra two tires. I am sure you will be happy with what ever you choose.

Dave :)

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
What gearing does each have? This will have an effect on mileage in addition to the extra tires. I would stick with the lower (numerically) rear end gear possible unless you are towing something really big. This should give you better mileage empty.

How much will you drive in the snow. My expirience with duallies is limited but the time I had in the snow was not enjoyable when empty. The rear end seems to float more.

Either way, go with a GMC.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $500 bucks dif ? I'd go DRW TG. That way, in the future, whatever RV you might want to carry or tow, yul have the GVWR, and [Stability].. a DRW offers.

(2 more tires, at Tire Buy'n Time.. is almost moot. I've always been able to Bundle 6.. at a better price, per tire, than 4.. for the same tire)

My .03 :dunno

;) A GMC is jus' a Chevy..... with Lock-Washers :lmao

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
What gearing does each have?
3.73 Ltd. slip in all the trucks.

My expirience with duallies is limited but the time I had in the snow was not enjoyable when empty. The rear end seems to float more.

What advantages or disadvantages would be associated with removing one tire per side for the winter?

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your going to be getting a big 5th wheel like
I have I would be getting a SRW 3500. Don't get
me wrong, I love my truck and the DRW,s.
It's hard to go though the drive inn at the bank,
and you can't go though the drive though car wash.
If you blow a rear tire it's going to cost about $1500
to get it all put back together. Just my 2cents.
Doug

PS, get the GMC.

Last edited:

Deerjager

Meister Gewehr
Reaction score
I voted for the 3500 SRW. If I remember correctly, you use your truck as a daily driver. Mileage may be a concern over the long haul with a dually.

As a side note, I saw a guy hauling a 5th wheel camper with a F350 DRW and he had a rear tire blowout. He had the tire carcass really mess up the drivers side dually fender and rear bed side.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
honestly,i dont like the looks of any of the new trucks.but the dodge duallie is the best looking out of them all.i cant stand that hude grill and straight boxy interior of the ford.

but for the extra 5 beans id go duallie.id buy a duallie anyways,love the look of a dualllie

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
If you guys are happy with the TT then stick with the SW2500. However if you guys whant a 5th wheel in the future, then all the disadvantages of having a DW3500 are just part of owning a 5th wheel.

yeah getting a great deal on six tires is cool and all but your still spending more.
Drive troughs and car washes are pain.
3500 brakes are more expensive to work on.
Gas mileage is down. wind, weight, tire resistance, ect.
less of a ride (mostly from it being a 3500)

So its the 10% rule. I'd feel much safer pulling a 5th wheel with the dually. And I just like idea of 5th wheelers. more room, better aerodynamics, I'd betcha they pull better and turn better too! and for a measly 500 bucks DO IT :coffee:sly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58