Opinions needed

Is the $500 difference of a new 1-ton dually worth getting it over a 3/4 ton SRW?

• 2500HD SRW (Single Rear Wheel)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 3500HD SRW (Single Rear Wheel)

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • 3500HD DRW (Dual Rear Wheels)

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would remove a tire on each side. We just added weight (LOTS).
I had thought of that also. Years ago I had a 1/2 4x4 with a Western Proplow on it. It was so heavy, my truck did a 360 on me one day in an intersection when I tried to go around a corner. By the end of the day, I had 16 concrete blocks in the back for weight/traction.

I assume you are buying one with 4x4.
Do they come any other way?? :lmao

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I've noted that a few folks have said "get the GMC".
From my understanding, they are the same truck, rolling off the same assembly line? The only difference being some trucks get Chevy nameplates, some get GMC badges.

In the past, we had a GMC Safari minivan and later had a Chevy Astro. Same vehicle, same assembly plant.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It's hard to go though the drive inn at the bank,
and you can't go though the drive though car wash.

Drive troughs and car washes are pain.
3500 brakes are more expensive to work on.
Gas mileage is down. wind, weight, tire resistance, ect.
less of a ride (mostly from it being a 3500)

Just the sort of input I was looking for. Those are issues, I hadn't thought of.
:thanks3

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WD40
It's hard to go though the drive inn at the bank,
and you can't go though the drive though car wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iracemine
Drive troughs and car washes are pain.
3500 brakes are more expensive to work on.
Gas mileage is down. wind, weight, tire resistance, ect.
less of a ride (mostly from it being a 3500)

Just the sort of input I was looking for. Those are issues, I hadn't thought of.
:thanks3

why would you want to take your truck through an auotmatic car wash?theydont get the badges clean enough and scratch the paint.i like my psd badges to be cleaner and shinier than the truck.

drive thrus werent much of a problem for me.limiting factor was length,we have drive thrus with 90* corners out here :eek: .and quit being lazy,get out of the truck to get your coffee.they always screw it up in the drive thru.as joe pesci said in lethal weapon "THEY **** YOU IN THE DRIVE THRU!"

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to do a "Point, Counter Point" TG.. but if TT Mirrors will clear a Drive Thru, or any other situation, the DRW will clear it too.

If you go with DRW, your biggest thing will be: Will Mrs. TG like a Dually (?)..

My wife has Never, and Won't drive mine. Too Big, Too Wide to park at the stores and such. (She has Her Fusion.. I have my "Big Butt" Dually:sly)

But a 4X4 SRW 3500 has basically the same issues too ? Length, turning radius,, depending on Crew cab, X cab Wheel base, and the like.

'Lota Tough decisions to make TG.

Joe

I agree with Rich. I go inside.. the service is usually faster. More accurate too. NO Car Washes for me either. (even with the Fusion).

Last edited:

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
Get the 1 ton SRW I have trouble getting my F350 SRW through some of the newer bank drive through's with the mirrors out and not folded in I can't imagine trying to get a dually through one. Also get a short bed because it seems the parking spaces are getting smaller in some places and making turns in some parking lots even with a crew cab short bed are a PITA!! The parking spaces also seem to be getting shorter as well and my crew cab sticks out into the isle in most parking lots by 1-3 feet depending which parking lot I am in. The GM will be shorter height wise than the Ford by about 6-8 inches so parking garages and car washes should not be a concern with a Chev/GMC. I vote for getting a GMC as well because the Chevy's front end and grill are just plain FUGLY!!

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the most part, Chevy and GMC are the same truck. Actually many years ago on their brochures they had a disclaimer that this vehicle was sold under the name of ------------ and would mention the other name. However, I'd get the GMC at least for the looks, especially the front. I think the GMC also bears a slight resemblance to the older Super Duties. I voted for the 2500 SRW, but if you're going to be pulling a fifth wheel (or any other large trailer) very much, your best bet is probably gonna be a DRW. Also, having the discount at work makes the purchase a bit easier. Plus it takes away the hassle. There's a set price and that's it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14