Pictures of Antarctica

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Now that is what I am talkin about. That thing is cool.

Ours have the Cummins QSX, 535 HP 2,000ish TQ, 23 speed automatic transmission! And its got more heaters in the cab then the operators know what to do with. Next time we have one in the shop (which is all the time) i will take more picture :cool:

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, you're gotting off easy being there from Oct. to Feb. I was there twice from the middle of Aug. to the end of March. Had to build the Ice runway. The Heavy shop is a rebuild of the one that WAS there in '81. The equipment we had was mostly Fords and Cats also. Some of the Cat equipment had ponengines on them. Are there any LGP D8s there yet? pictures. Is the "base" in Christchurch still just outside the airport. There was a motel across the street call the White Heron. We called it the Dirty Duck. Thanks for the pictures. They sure bring back memories. Keith

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Mike, you're gotting off easy being there from Oct. to Feb. I was there twice from the middle of Aug. to the end of March. Had to build the Ice runway. The Heavy shop is a rebuild of the one that WAS there in '81. The equipment we had was mostly Fords and Cats also. Some of the Cat equipment had ponengines on them. Are there any LGP D8s there yet? pictures. Is the "base" in Christchurch still just outside the airport. There was a motel across the street call the White Heron. We called it the Dirty Duck. Thanks for the pictures. They sure bring back memories. Keith

I was just saying that most people are here from Oct-Feb (mainbody), i was here for windfly too. I hear it was a pretty mild windfly compared to other years so i still think i had it easy.

Yes we still have two of the old LPG D8s... Pam is one of them right? If so you can see her in the first storm picture.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
be honest with you, after my 10 months in the Alaksan Bush, Antarctica is one of the few places you can't walk home from I'd like go...

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
One of my dads old buddies goes on those Antartica science trips quite often. He teaches marine biology at a college in San Diego.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, Pam was there before I went there in '80-81, and 81-82. Mike, I'm just busting on you a little. There aren't too many people that can say they were at SP90*. Keep tha pics coming. I'd like to see what changed since then. Keith

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, Pam was there before I went there in '80-81, and 81-82. Mike, I'm just busting on you a little. There aren't too many people that can say they were at SP90*. Keep tha pics coming. I'd like to see what changed since then. Keith

Yep, Pam, Big John, The old Mech shop, ALL bring back memories. A Life exsperience, one I will never ever forget. Spent 3 years of my life on "The Ice", 6 months at a time. 68/69, 74 to 78. Things were >ALOT< more primative then ("U" barrels, "BURN" Shi**ers ;) :) )but even with all the new buildings and equipment... "HERBY" (the weather) still Rules.

The most Miserable, Cold, Harsh, Mean.. Serene, Wonderfull, Interesting, Challenging, place on this planet, Bar None.

"Dome Charley". They said it could'nt be done, But we recovered a C-130, FLEW it back to the US.. a year after it crashed on Take Off. Replaced the Wing Root, All 4 Engines...........WHOPPS.. I'm Ramble'n

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Joe, that is OK to ramble. My first time there was 80. Don't forget Fang, The Old Mech shop went up in flame because of a burn chitter. I mostlyy ran the tire shop on my 2 deployments. I guess they needed someone who could fix the Delta tires both years. The M151s with the Dick Cepek Offroaders 15-31-15. The U barrels, and using them for runway markers. Those were the good old days. :roflmao Keith

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58