Pictures of Antarctica

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prolly oda do this on a PM but... My Tire guy was a guy named "Huck". I usta blow the Safety rings off the bigger equipment wheels with Det Cord for him :eek: :roflmao . Cost him 1 beer per wheel:) ;)

Ya the good ole dayz. We lived in 20X40 Refer boxes work'n backwards.. Heated INSIDE, to keep the cold OUT !!

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
My favorite is the Case Quadtrack tractor they will be using to drive from McMurdo to the South Pole and back.
http://www.lyndochmotors.com.au/images/stxtrack.jpeg

The exploration and seismic crews on the North slope have started using a bunch of those. They use to mainly use Cat Challengers but the Case track rigs seem to get around a Little better with less impact on the environment. I hauled the first one North that they used for testing back in 1999 or 2000. I guess it passed the test as now they have dozens of them.

The latest thing they are trying out is modifiedCat Articulated Trucks with fifth wheels rather than the bed, large tundra tires, extra fuel tanks and small sleepers. Last winter they were used to tow flatbeds and vans transporting freight to remote drilling locations. This winter they are planning on using them a little more as they worked out quite well. They seem to pull and get around a little better than the old-school foremost buggies.

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Great pics!!

You are very lucky to have such a rare experience, few can say they have been there.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to break down all the tires b hand. Had a 5 ton dump with the float tires on it. Needed to sawzall the tire off the rim then gas ax the beads off. We lived in the buildings near the Enlisted club. You know with the ocean view. :roflmao

Mike, wait until it get between 40, and 50 for a week. That is shorts, and t shirt weather. Sit outside with the beer on the ground, getting a tan.

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Mike, how about some more pics for us OAEs? Did you get to see the crew from the Today show? Keith

OAE?

Yeah i seen them walking around with thier cameras. And FYI the storm they were in wasnt condition one, it was only condition 2 (1 being worse) we are not allowed outside in condition 1. I got to see a little bit of the show (thanks to youtube) and it showed them walking around in front of my dorm acting like it was windy and they said it was condition 1, you cant see your hand in front of your face in condition 1.

That and its not even that cold here right now, just a few degrees below 0... they should have been here when i first got here.

But anyway, so you want more pictures? I will see what i can do. Anything specific?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58