Pictures of Antarctica

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Wow Mike what a great experience. The shot of you on your hypothermia training is classic. You sure know how to get around. :sweet

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OAE=Old Antarctic Explorer.

I have been in condition 1. Driving back from the ice runway. We almost got to the transition ramp at town when it was announced on the radio.

The film crew should have gotten there during Winfly. Now that would have been an experience for them. :roflmao

Keith

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
The film crew should have gotten there during Winfly. Now that would have been an experience for them. :roflmao

Keith

No kidding!

And its condition 1 right now :) Just walked to the chow hall. :cool:

I work 'night shift' (even though it is daylight out :)) and i heard that the Today Show was hosting an open bar tonight :rant

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
we are not allowed outside in condition 1.

And its condition 1 right now :) Just walked to the chow hall. :cool:

You have a indoor hallway to the chow hall or are you ignoring the rules? :watchout

How much wind does it take to hit condition 1? On the North slope they call them phase 1, 2 ,3 rather than condition. Yesterday morning it was blowing about 35 and was tough to find the delineators but it was not even rated. Takes about 40mph to hit phase 1, 50-60 phase 2 and phase 3 comes in over 70. It also depends on snow cover/condition as the lighter the snow the easier it flies.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
McMurdo Station is like a small town. No inter-connecting hallways. You go building to building.. but only if you absolutely have to.. in Weather Condition 1.

When I was there, everyone carried a Whistle. IF you had to go from one location to another you had to call Mac-Center (Operations), state the reason, get permission.. if granted.. GO. when you got to where you needed to go..you had to call Mac-Center and confirm you arrival.

Travel times from Any building to Any building were known. If you didnt arrive, or didnt call in, a search party would be formed.. all members tethered together and to the starting building, with climbing ropes. Happened a couple times but we never Lost anyone. SOP was.. if you got lost or disoriented>>STAY IN PLACE<< and blow yer whistle.

Things are alot different now.. maybe Mike will bring us up to date.

Joe

Broke my beard off once, in the cold.:roflmao

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Well it was more like condition 1.5, while we were walking to the chow hall it changed to condition 2.

Condition info:

Severe Weather Condition 1
Issued when at least one of the following conditions is occurring or imminent:
Sustained wind speed greater than 55 knots
Wind chill temperature colder than -100°F (-73°C)
Visibility less than 100 feet
Severe Weather Condition 2
Issued when at least one of the following conditions is occurring or imminent:
Sustained wind speed 48 knots to 55 knots
Wind chill temperature -75°F (-60°C) to -100°F (-73°C)
Visibility 1/4 mile to 100 feet
Severe Weather Condition 3
Issued when all conditions exceed criteria for Condition 2

It was only condition 1 because it snowed yesterday and the wind was blowing it around. There is no humidity here so the snow really doesnt stick (you cant make a snow ball).

Big Joe, i think they still do that but it wasnt a true condition 1. My room mate signed up for the SAR team (search and rescue for those out of the loop).

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WorthLess

:sorry No Pics:roflmao But..Here's how I Broke it:

Was operating a Snow=Blast 2000 (BIG Snow Blower) in storm-con 2. Broke a shear pin. Got out, R&R'd it. Got back in the cab.. lower face ITCHED, Scratched it.. Beard broke off cuz my breath had frozen in it....:roflmao :roflmao

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
:sorry No Pics:roflmao But..Here's how I Broke it:

Was operating a Snow=Blast 2000 (BIG Snow Blower) in storm-con 2. Broke a shear pin. Got out, R&R'd it. Got back in the cab.. lower face ITCHED, Scratched it.. Beard broke off cuz my breath had frozen in it....:roflmao :roflmao

Wow, you know its cold when............... :eek:

Tbar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58