PIE for 2004 6 disc?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Gotta remove the finish panel surrounding the head unit then you have to remove 4 bolts holding the unit to the dash.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Place masking tape near the seam between the finish panel and the dash surrounding the finish panel to prevent scratches. Use a putty knife and work it between the seam of the finish panel and the dash until it pops out. It is in there tight. Once you get the panel off it is like Bill says, a matter of unbolting a few bolts and sliding the radio towards you. When the installation is complete, test for proper operation, then bolt the radio back in and push the finish panel back into place. It will snap in.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. I have tape and a puddy knife.

This will work even though the AUX button also runs the overhead DVD player? Should I pull it out and make sure there is a open port before I order the stuff?

ZBeeble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I'm completely anti-ipod. Similarly, I'm completely anti-satellite radio. I think that the value proposition is just too skewed. There are many products on the market that offer more fredom and ability. Myself, I have my laptop for long (> 12 hours of driving) trips. For shorter trips, I have my Treo with a 2G stick in it. I have a script on my laptop that picks 100 random track s and reloads the Treo.

On the satellite site, about the only use for it I might have is picking up CBC while I'm not in Canada... but that's always been possible with short wave et. al.

Heh... I'd love to put some real radio rig in my X. Been looking at replacement alternators.

ZBeeble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Sounds like a plan. I have tape and a puddy knife.

This will work even though the AUX button also runs the overhead DVD player? Should I pull it out and make sure there is a open port before I order the stuff?

Most of the notes on the PIE adaptors say that they don't work _with_ ford installed AUX equipment. PIE sells adaptors that will connect more than one thing to your head unit ... but that doesn't include the ford provided kit.

Now... that said, the DVD player from ford includes AUX in, IIRC. You'd need them for connecting your game console, for instance. Might be a bit more of a pain to connect to --- but it saves you a chunk of coin ... since you've already shelled out for the factory DVD.

Someone locally is advertising a DVD player for $19.95 (Canadian). Stereo, progressive scan, no less. Makes the $2k price of some of the factory units seem even more excessive.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
I got Sirius for the traffic and weather reports and the Radio Marguertaville. Everything else is gravy. I could care less about Howard Stern.

That being said, the P.I.E. adapters will not pass the data from the Ford DVD unit to the display. An AFTERMARKET DVD unit will work fine, however. Just use a multiple port adapter with the AUX adapter. That way you can have up to three inputs off of that single AUX button.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
rray32539 said:
That being said, the P.I.E. adapters will not pass the data from the Ford DVD unit to the display.
So back to the drawing board.. I guess since we will only use the iPod a few times a year on longer trips where there are no radio stations I might as well just use the FM modulator I have and be done with it. I just thought it would be nice to plug it in but it seems to be a little to complicated for my little head. I guess the mp3 sticker on the front of the dash unit was used up when they installed the DVD system. If we had our choice there would be a sunroof overhead rather than the DVD system but when you are buying a 05' at the end of the year for 15k under the sticker price you just have to take what it has.

ZBeeble

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
So back to the drawing board.. I guess since we will only use the iPod a few times a year on longer trips where there are no radio stations I might as well just use the FM modulator I have and be done with it. I just thought it would be nice to plug it in but it seems to be a little to complicated for my little head. I guess the mp3 sticker on the front of the dash unit was used up when they installed the DVD system. If we had our choice there would be a sunroof overhead rather than the DVD system but when you are buying a 05' at the end of the year for 15k under the sticker price you just have to take what it has.

Well... just to clarify, does the factory DVD console _not_ have auxilliary inputs? That would be a serious omission.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58