Please help! 2006 6.0L down in Alaska

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
I've found that I don't have any oil pressure registering on the dash gauge. So now I'll be troubleshooting that, and a new fault code appeared, Brake Position Sensor. What should I be looking for guys?

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input and help. I was told to pull the allen head plug near the crankcase dampener and clean it to restore oil pressure. What is this plugs purpose and name, and where exactly will I find it? Is that vague enough for you guys or does it sound like something I can find. I looked under the engine near the front and found lots of plugs and connectors, I would like a little more guidance if anyone can figure waht it is I am trying to say.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Ashmass, I'll try to help out a little. First question, where are you reading oil pressure? I assume you still don't have the truck running, you won't have an oil pressure reading on the dash if you are cranking. You WILL have high pressure oil (read it with the AE software- live data meter) for operating the injection system.
As far as the cam/ crank codes, check the harnesses very carefully leading to them, they are known to chafe and short out.
I need to get my AE on my truck, as I'm still a little fuzzy on the use of it, I may be able to do that tonight, let me know if you find anything :)

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Thanks for all your input and help. I was told to pull the allen head plug near the crankcase dampener and clean it to restore oil pressure. What is this plugs purpose and name, and where exactly will I find it? Is that vague enough for you guys or does it sound like something I can find. I looked under the engine near the front and found lots of plugs and connectors, I would like a little more guidance if anyone can figure waht it is I am trying to say.
I think they are talking about the oil pressure regulator, that is for the low pressure (lubrication) oil system. Lets get the truck to run and see if it really does have low oil pressure ( I doubt it does).

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
Ashmass, I'll try to help out a little. First question, where are you reading oil pressure? I assume you still don't have the truck running, you won't have an oil pressure reading on the dash if you are cranking. You WILL have high pressure oil (read it with the AE software- live data meter) for operating the injection system.
As far as the cam/ crank codes, check the harnesses very carefully leading to them, they are known to chafe and short out.
I need to get my AE on my truck, as I'm still a little fuzzy on the use of it, I may be able to do that tonight, let me know if you find anything :)

I'm reading it on the dash. I was told by a tech I talked to at a dealer that the dash should indicate oil pressure after 2 seconds of cranking. If you have a 6.0 you can verify it for me, I don't remember. It's been too long since my truck started.
About the codes, I strted with the five I listed in my earlier post. Since then I hooked up AE and cleared them. Now I have only one code, Brake position sensor. I've been trying to find info about that, i.e. where its located, etc. The information I gave the tech was that code, he told me to check the fuse, it's ok. That led him to the il pressure question. I let him know tharer was none indicated on the instrument panel, that led me to this step about the low pressure plug. Thanks for your help. I really want my truck to run again!

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
I think they are talking about the oil pressure regulator, that is for the low pressure (lubrication) oil system. Lets get the truck to run and see if it really does have low oil pressure ( I doubt it does).

Yea, I like that runnning truck idea! You wouldn't believe what a hardship this is for me and my family.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess im curious how a 'brake sensor' would prevent the truck from
starting...

im gonna go check my 6.0l right now to see when the oil pressure comes
up on my factory gauges (which btw are NOT good diagnostic tool...they
are little more than idiot lights w/ a pointer)

dpantazis

Reaction score
ashmass-

to make sure, when you turn the key to the 1st position, do you get all the dash lights? can you hear your glow plug relay click and engage?

i don;t think that you will get oil pressure readings on the dash 'gauge' while its cranking.

what will stop these trucks dead in their tracks is no oil - did you check to make sure that you are topped off?

iirc, if the hpop is 'dry', then the truck will not start. maybe not even turn over. maybe DaveBen or bush can enlighten us.
the hpop is the High Pressure Oil Pump is the high pressure side that actuates the injectors.

dennis

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes it is this that is used to fire the injectors. No oil pressure, no injection. It will turn over however.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64