Please help! 2006 6.0L down in Alaska

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok just went out an checked mine...i cranked it several times...and
the oil pressure gauge doesnt move until AFTER the motors running...
in fact it takes a second or so AFTER the motor is 1st started for
the gauge to move...

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
Guys,
I just returned from running AE on my truck. After I cleared the existing code, B1483 (Brake Pedal Input Circuit Failure), it did not reoccur. I tried to get a DTC several times. The truck now has no DTC's reported. I ran the KOEO test, it completed with no results. I ran the injector buzz test and all injectors sounded the same. The oil is topped off, I get dashboard lights and can hear the vacuum and fuel pumps.
So I have no faults indicated and still no start. It turns over fast, the batteries are good.

How do I find if the HPOP system is operating as it should to activate the injectors?

Thanks for all your help.

Ash

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
ok just went out an checked mine...i cranked it several times...and
the oil pressure gauge doesnt move until AFTER the motors running...
in fact it takes a second or so AFTER the motor is 1st started for
the gauge to move...

So the tech I talked to at Cal Worthington Ford in Anchorage is a dummy.
He was introduced to me, by the way, as their top diesel mechanic who was gonna get me on the road quick. So much for that.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey im not saying anyone is a dummy...just tryin to help & compare notes...
i SO want this to be resolved for you...and im confident were gonna find it
and im gonna be pissed that when we discover its something simple/stupid.

how many miles on this thing again ? what year ? i know its frustrating bear
w/ us were TRYIN like hell to help ya.

more and more though it sounds like the HPOP could be at fault...

dpantazis

Reaction score
bush- its a 06 f250.

ashmass- we know that you have battery power and no DTC's. we know that you are not getting fuel delivery..... just to rule it out, you checked your fuel filter? pop the cover, check the filter and maybe suck the bowl dry. then bump the key to see if the bow is filled up. just a bump.

i hope i did not give you any false hope. 6.0L HPOP is on the back of the engine in the block. i am not sure if you can check it like the 7.3's. my bad.

like royboy said, you should be able to check the HPOP pressure, even under cranking with the AE software. i don;t know AE, so someone else needs to tell you which panel to check. if you get 500 psi or more i think we can rule out the HPOP and HP oil system. you can read any of the sensors with AE, trick is finding them in the software.

like bush said, the ICP could be suspect. you did have some of the injectors out right? #6?

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6519

there is a sensor on the back of the passenger side valve cover, its the Injection Control Pressure sensor, ICP for short. should have 3 wires on it. it might be worth checking that to make sure its connected right and no breaks in the wires.

it is unlikely, but if you nicked one of the injector HP oil o-rings, that too could bleed the HPOP pressure. so if you get low HPOP pressure, it might not be the HPOP. i think the way to check that is to pull the valve cover, and look at the injectors while someone is cranking the engine over. can any one confirm?

i think that the tech was trying to get you to check the IPR cleanout. that the Injection Pressure Regulator. I don't know where it is on the 6.0. maybe bush or daveben can help you rule that out.

you don;t have any visible oil leaks do you? there are some crappy pot metal fittings on the back of the HPOP. Branch fitting is the term i think of the fitting that cracks/leaks most often. its tough to get to, i think you need an inspection mirror to look at.

i know that getting parts to you is tough and time consuming, not to mention expensive (i am afraid to ask what a beer costs). don;t neglect your IH/Navistar dealer as a source for common parts like orings and ICP sensors. trick is getting the parts guys to cross the numbers. you WILL need the engine serial number which is engraved on a boss on the drivers side of the motor. i think its by the oil filter housing on the block.

hang in there, be patient and DON'T get paranoid.

dennis

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
hey im not saying anyone is a dummy...just tryin to help & compare notes...
i SO want this to be resolved for you...and im confident were gonna find it
and im gonna be pissed that when we discover its something simple/stupid.

how many miles on this thing again ? what year ? i know its frustrating bear
w/ us were TRYIN like hell to help ya.

more and more though it sounds like the HPOP could be at fault...

I still think he's a dummy. You know, finding that it is actually a simple problem or maybe something that should have been more obvious from the start, these things happen all the time. It wouldn't surprise me, but I sure do know the feeling.

It's a 2006 with 24,000 miles. And thanks, once again, for your help so far. I truly appreciate all the input I'm getting.

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
dpantazis,
I've been educating myself about that HPOP system today and it would be a good suspect for my current indications, or lack of indications I guess. I'm studying up on AE to learn where in the software I can look to find HPOP indicators. I know that the HPOP can bleed off through a bad injector and prevent starting, but I have no clue how to test for that situation.

I had 5 injectors replaced in this truck. I had my fuel congeal while driving through the Yukon last February. (60 below 0 does bad stuff to #2 diesel) It shorted the fuel pump which caused the injectors to fail. A dealer replaced 4 of them and then shipped me my truck out here where I am now. When the truck arrived it wasn't running very good and we found that it had one more injector that needed to be replaced which was #6.
Would the IPR cleanpout being stuck or dirty cause a no start? Just wondering if I should follow through on the techs advice.
I crawled around the engine today with a drop light looking for the HPOP. I read on Dieselmann that I could check the level of oil in it through a plug or cap but I didn't see anything of the sort. Probably because I've never seen one before. I didn't notice any leaks of oil or anything else. It's pretty clean, considering where I live and the conditions out here.
Thanks for the hint about the ICP, I'll check it out.
I'm off to get a beer, tomorrows another day. I really feel like I'm starting to learn some stuff about diesels. Thanks to all.

rynarnell

03 6.0 8.0lift on 38"s
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your truck man, im from anchorage and im with you about the techs at cal worthinton. not worth a damn.

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I went and ran AE on my truck again this afternoon, I was lookinjg fior a way to monitor the HPOP. I didn't find that, but the following code reoccured, B1483(Brake Pedal Input Circuit Failure).
I ran the KOEO test and got the following results P1000(OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete) and P1397 (Variable Valve Timing Solenoid B Circuit Low Input).

Can any of this be a clue, or is it all just a bunch of nothing?

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
Dpantazis saidit. "Should have been more obvious from the start".

First the good news. I started my truck and drove it around this morning. Runs great. I couldn't be happier.

Now the part that's gonna make ya'll want to throw rocks at me. It was low coolant in the resevoir. No kidding, I put about a quart in there, it's all I had. Went to run AE again, and the thing fired right up. I'm a very happy stupid person. Feel pretty dumb, but I'm grinning anyway.

How can I say thanks to all of who have wasted your time on me?

And I do have more questions for you guys, Like if it was just low coolant why all those various trouble codes? I've seen maybe 15 different ones with little consistency. One or two reocurred, and none had anything to do with coolant. Now there's none. Go figure.

Thanks again, I'm truly grateful for all your help and encouragement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58