PowerStroke Diesel Being Replaced By?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Ford has built diesels in the past. They were truck engines and not the high tech engines of today. They CAN build the engine, but will they?

Dave

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Ford has built diesels in the past. They were truck engines and not the high tech engines of today. They CAN build the engine, but will they?

Dave

Couldn't have been any worse than the GM / olds diesel. :dizzy

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I had a great 6.5L diesel Engine, in fact I had 2 of them. The problem was with the stories and the loading of these engines. My truck was rated for 8500LBs and I hauled the same load as I am hauling with my F250 6.0L. The pumps were changed for the only reason the controler was sitting on top of the engine where the most heat was. I did not listen to anyone but anything that made sense. So to haul the load I improved the air flow and relocated the pump controler. The guy that bought my truck listened to his tech and reinstalled the garbage back on. We just have to be smart and know what are the risk of racing and overloading. On my 90 6.2L I was told I needed new Heads for $2000. I did noting and installed a air handling system. Intake, Exhaust and pulled 8000 Lbs for 3 Years and sold it to a fellow that rode the heck of it. He called me 3 years after, someone was telling him to do the Heads. I ask if it started good, was good on fuel and heated. His answer was it was great. Well I told him to keep driving it. In 15 Years with these bad GM's I put them to extream loads and never did noting but changed Batteries, oil and filters. I dearly hope that my so called bad Ford is as dependable as these bad GM Diesels. It all depends on how these engines are driven. They are made to work and not toys for sure.
PS. My bad GM's were open to the governor many times and loaded at 90% most of there lives.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Just to clarify, caissiel, I was referring to the attempt at making a diesel out of a car engine. Not the 6.2 or 6.5. They were real diesels.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, caissiel, I was referring to the attempt at making a diesel out of a car engine. Not the 6.2 or 6.5. They were real diesels.
The car engine made into a diesel was the 350 (5.7). I made the big mistake of buying a 1980 Caprice Wagon when it had around 40,000 miles on it. Turns out I was the third owner. Heads soon cracked, but thankfully GM paid for them. Aside from that, it really was a nice car and got excellent mileage (for a full sized car in the 80's).

dpantazis

Reaction score
MY WAG is that the engine is actually going to be European/British in origin.

Remember Ford owns Rover, and Rover has a LONG successful history with diesels.

The only scary thing to all that would be the lineage of British electrics.

dp

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
VW did the same thing with their first diesel. It was like 2 Years to realize the engines never lasted as good as the gas engines, They installed an oil cooler, problem solved.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
You gotta keep in mind that this is just a MULE truck that is being ran thru the paces with all the new changes.

Has that already been said?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only scary thing to all that would be the lineage of British electrics.
dp

the brits long ago resolved their electrics issues when the prince of
darkness
mysteriously "passed away"...triumph motorcycles dont
leak oil anymore either !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14