PowerStroke turns over wont start

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I have gone 100 miles with low fuel light on? Thats as far as i have pushed it tho.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
Well, I guess we all learned an important lesson today...

IDM, CPS, Fuel Bowl Heater, #30 fuse....

And we forgot to make sure there was diesel in the tank...

That's funny right thar.... :roflmao

These diesel engines sort of take away fromt eh simple diagnosis process of "fuel and air", since each of them are controlled by a million different variables. Kind of funny, you know?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
POWERSTROKE N said:
how is it out of diesel, the last time i shut her down there was 1/4 of a tank in it

Every time I hear of someone running out of fuel with a 1/4 tank of fuel, I shoot straight up in my chair and say "I bet I know what the problem is!!!" :eek:

I had the exact symptoms a few years ago. I was on my way home and the engine started acting like it was running out of fuel but still had at least 1/4 of a tank of fuel. I put a few gallons more into it and it started running better.:dunno

Once I got home, I drained the fuel and dropped the tank. I pulled the pickup assembly out and began to give it a good looking over. When I grabbed the black fuel intake/pickup, the thing fell off into my hand. Apparently what the problem was, the fuel pickup was very loosely attached at the white mixer assembly. When the fuel level in the tank dropped to a level equal to the top of the black intake/pickup, it began to start sucking serious air.

I figured this was a good time to do the "Hutch" mod. So using locally obtained parts, I removed the entire mixer assy and pitched it across the garage. Then I extended the pickup tube and placed the black intake/pickup on the end of the extended pickup tube. I positioned the pickup so it was about 1/4" from the bottom of the tank. You also want to extend the fuel return line so that the returned, aerated fuel is away from the fuel intake. I also replaced the fuel feed lines on the top of the tank to the metal fuel line in the frame rail using some stiffer type fuel hose. The key here is to get rid of the push-on type quick connectors, they are very prone to sucking air.

I put the tank back on, put some fuel in and once all the air got worked out of the system, it ran a ton better.

I found some real good pics on how to do a "Hutch" inspired mod. Go here to ITP's website. It is the install instructions for ITP's kit and you can see what it's all about.

rudco99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
no start problems

i have a late model 99 f250.. I have been having the same problems. I got it started on WD40. Ford told me that there was a couple of possabilities... Some sensor in the oil resivor on the top of the engine,, the resivor draining oil back into the oil pan. I believe the oil is draining back to the pan. If you can get it started, watch the oil pressure. On mine, if the pressure comes up quick it will stay running,, meaning the resivor is still full of oil.. If the oil pressure does not come up, the enging start running rough, then dies and WILL NOT START... I can get it running again with WD40 or either(bad choice) but necissary. I also changed the CPS thinking that was the problem. No change. Check the oil level in the oil resivor in front of the fuel filter. A small allen head screw can be removed, the allen wrench can be used as a dipstick. One of the possible problems for oil draining back was a bad gasket in the resivor. While re-tightening the resivor back down, i broke the front cover on the engine (cast alluminum JUNK) $20 dollar gasket that turned into a few hundred bucks more just for parts. A good tech can find the problem, but they will need your truck for a couple days to re-produce the same problem again. GOOD LUCK

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
"I figured this was a good time to do the "Hutch" mod"

I remember the Hutch mod for the mixer.... it asists in remomving exess air from the lines, but what was the purpose of the mixer in the first place ... cold weather start?... anti gel?...... just wondering... as I know some of us live or travel regularly to cold ---or -- very cold areas...

dMerre89

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ive ran out with an 1/8 tank according to my tank...lol it sucks sittin on the side of the road

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58