pyro temps towing to hot for stock?

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was towing a trailer that weighed around 2k on the highway earlier and when in od doin 70 -75 i would run 1050-1150 on flat,then on the slight hills we have in florida it would hit 1250,4th gear wasnt much better either.that seems to hot for a 2k load.i know my 3.55 gear and 35's dont help but could they raise the temps that high with such a light load?how would i ever tow 5-10k without melting the engine? i would have to pull it like 35 mph to keep temps down,something must be wrong.

dlonno

BeerHunter
Reaction score
What size exhaust do you have and is it turbo back? Temps seem way too high for a 2k trailer.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Pyro pre or post turbo?
Ambient temps on that day?
With your straight pipe that does seem high.
IIRC 1250*F is the upper limit before damage occurs.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pyro is pre turbo,temps are around 80,my exhaust is stock with the exception of a straight pipe,no aftermarket downpipe

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how can the manufacturer say this truck can tow 9800lbs safely when 2k is putting it close to dangerous temps?are my tires the culprit?im wondering if my homeade intake could be causing these high temps,if the filter was restrictive,i was only seeing about 6lbs of boost in od while in cruis control,and when climbing the small hills it would hit 10lbs,could it be my intake?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Can't comment on how our trucks were designed. :D Remember, the stock tranny cooler is only rated at 9K. :rant The best way to lower your EGTs are massive air flow in and out. Rethink your intake but definitely consider a 3" downpipe. That stock piece of garbage is constricted like a serpent's head.

india_snake-charmer.jpg

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
get a 3" downpipe. unless you have a serious blockage on the intake, its not your problem. is it the "diy tymar" style?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are his boost numbers accurate for the model year ? (could be a turbo issue if hes down on power and boost)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14