pyro temps towing to hot for stock?

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can hit 17psi on full throttle which i believe is normal max.ive stock trucks like mine pullin 10k 50-60mph on flat land.with mine i would have been at 1500 degrees and then on the side of the road with a melted engine.so what can be wrong?:rant

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then there must be something wrong w/ your truck...

whats your mpg like (has it taken a
hit lately ?) over fueling = higher temps.

Last edited:

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im gettin like 15-17 depending on how i drive.im puzzled. :dunno

also i dont have that 10k mod in anymore,i took that out a long time ago.

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
What were your RPM's while you were towing this load and what boost levels were you at while towing this load. You cant lug these turbocharged direct injected 7.3's, they need R's to keep cool on the exhaust side. 2800-3000 is where these beasts like to tow.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in 5th i was running like 2000 rpms, keep in mind it was only 2k,i repeat,2k.when i would shift to fourththey would drop some but as soon as i would hit the gas it would be back up to dangerous levels.so i cant tow in od? i dont see how people with these trucks tow anything over 4k in od,mine would be melting down.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
You cannot lug these engines while pouring fuel in, your A/F ratio goes to heck and your EGT's are reflecting that. Get those rpms up and I think youll be doing fine. Youre 3:55's and 35's are a great combo for running empty at 75 if you are at 2K rpm but it sucks for towing. I feel strongly that it is a (the) leading factor in your EGT problem.

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
You cannot lug these engines while pouring fuel in, your A/F ratio goes to heck and your EGT's are reflecting that. Get those rpms up and I think youll be doing fine. Youre 3:55's and 35's are a great combo for running empty at 75 if you are at 2K rpm but it sucks for towing. I feel strongly that it is a (the) leading factor in your EGT problem.

Second that, they sure aren't helping at all. But I didn't notice in your pm, get rid of that pos downpipe asap, they are highly restictive. Once you take it out to put the new one in you will understand. By the measurements, they are as big as a 3" pipe, but mandrel bends flow much better than a 90* about face in the path the exhaust has to leave the turbo!! Open the hood and look at the exhaust out at the turbo, you won't believe your eyes.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if i hooked up to 10k,towing it at 3000rpms on the highway in 4th would be ok?those rpms just seem so high.the engine sounds like its going to blow up.also i shouldnt tow in od?the manual says not to so i guess not.but with those high rpms doesnt that defeat the purpose of a diesel?low rpm towing with decent mpg,while 3000 rpm is relatively low,at those r's the mpg goes in the tiolet doesnt it?please correct me if im wrong.

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
so if i hooked up to 10k,towing it at 3000rpms on the highway in 4th would be ok?those rpms just seem so high.the engine sounds like its going to blow up.also i shouldnt tow in od?the manual says not to so i guess not.but with those high rpms doesnt that defeat the purpose of a diesel?low rpm towing with decent mpg,while 3000 rpm is relatively low,at those r's the mpg goes in the tiolet doesnt it?please correct me if im wrong.

That is were tourqe and horsepower are both working for you. You can make tourqe at lower rpms, but horsepower requires rpms. You can't wind that turbo up unless you're throwing some revs at it. Yes, the mileage goes downhill, but try redline rpms with a big block, you're talking 5 mpgs, not 12 and up. So you are getting a mileage bonus with the same load, but with fuel prices doing stupid crap if you bought it to save gas you better sell it and get a 4 banger, cause 7.3 liters of fuel burning capabilities doesn't equal mileage anyway you swing it.
Diesel is only a viable option if you just want a diesel, or pull ALOT, with the higher cost of the engine option, and the higher price at the pump you will not ever make it up in fuel savings. Years ago within 3-5 years you could easily pay for the engine option on a new truck in fuel savings, not anymore....
Sorry I'm on the soapbox, the political state of our country has me a little on edge lately anytime mileage, fuel prices, etc comes up :)

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
You really only need the 2500-3000 rpm's while moving up a grade or incline. The rest of the time you should have no problems towing in 5th. With my E4OD I always towed in OD unless I was trying to pass someone or towing up a significant grade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14