pyro temps towing to hot for stock?

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really only need the 2500-3000 rpm's while moving up a grade or incline. The rest of the time you should have no problems towing in 5th. With my E4OD I always towed in OD unless I was trying to pass someone or towing up a significant grade.

engine wises your truck stock though? how can i expect to tow in anything above 2k in od without egts climbing like crazy.cruisin between 65-75 i was running 1050-1150,just cruisin on flat and very slight elevations,it would climb,this was with 2k,doesnt sound right to me.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the main thing here is your speculating that your EGTs would go thru the roof with a heavier load when you really don't know. My buddy has a 96 with 3" DP and straight piped stock exhaust with 3.55 gears and an auto pulled a car dolly thru realitively flat ground 65-75 mph and ran about 1050 on the pyro with what about 6-700 lbs. He picked up the car and towed it back and ran about the same temps home 1050-1100. Now I have a 96 with 3" DP to 4" straight pipe about 6 feet long with an Edge evo set on extreme and the highest temp I've ever seen was 1250 and I tow 8000-10,000 daily

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the main thing here is your speculating that your EGTs would go thru the roof with a heavier load when you really don't know. My buddy has a 96 with 3" DP and straight piped stock exhaust with 3.55 gears and an auto pulled a car dolly thru realitively flat ground 65-75 mph and ran about 1050 on the pyro with what about 6-700 lbs. He picked up the car and towed it back and ran about the same temps home 1050-1100. Now I have a 96 with 3" DP to 4" straight pipe about 6 feet long with an Edge evo set on extreme and the highest temp I've ever seen was 1250 and I tow 8000-10,000 daily

'i can hit 1250 with no load.i can jump on the highway with no load and bury the pedal for about 10 seconds and hit 1250 and 15-17 psi of boost,then i let off.keep in mind that with no load!add 8k behind there i think i will have a problem.:dunno

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
engine wises your truck stock though? how can i expect to tow in anything above 2k in od without egts climbing like crazy.cruisin between 65-75 i was running 1050-1150,just cruisin on flat and very slight elevations,it would climb,this was with 2k,doesnt sound right to me.

No, my engine was not stock. I was putting ALOT (2x) more fuel in than stock which should have netted MUCH higher EGT's than stock, but yet if I kept my RPM's up my EGT's were manageable. This was towing a 26' TT at interstate speeds through the Rockies mid summer.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you shouldn't be able to hit that high empty. I wonder if your EBPV is partially closed or if your banks exhaust brake is causing a restriction

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure either,maybe ill try and tow with the exhaust brake off and see if it makes any difference.you guys sure the intake wouldnt cause this?

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
im not sure either,maybe ill try and tow with the exhaust brake off and see if it makes any difference.you guys sure the intake wouldnt cause this?

No, the intake will lower egts. With my truck setup exactly like it is now, from a dead stop accelerating empty untill governor cutoff in fourth WILL not overheat the temps. You gotta problem man. Even with my programmer in any setting with stock injectors, it was not even close to getting hot empty EVER. I now have stage 1s, so alot more fuel and I still have to really try to get it hot empty.

If his ebpv was stuck there is no way he could make the boost hes making. I'm kinda stumped here. Like I said, that downpipe doesn't help at all, but with stock injectors I don't think that would even matter that much.

Didn't you recently by this truck? Have you looked at your pcm and made sure the po didn't put a chip in it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14