Shimming the fpr?

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
Well guys I did this mod on my old pickup yesterday and at the low cost of only 23 bucks:yahoo that price included the liquid filled gauge. I used a 4/40 flat head screw that was 1" long I believe and it took about 1 and 1 half nuts to get my desired pressure. I boosted it from 45 to about 73psi. On the road test afterwords I noticed smoother throttle response what seemed to be a quieter engine while accelerating and might just be me but the rpm's seem to come a little quicker as well:dunno

godofdew11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, 70 is great but more isnt better if you start going to 80-85-90 it will be SUPER responsive and SUPER quiet, foor a very very short time then you will blow some injector orings and have antifreeze in the cylinders and fuel in the antifreeze, just nothing good about it.

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, 70 is great but more isnt better if you start going to 80-85-90 it will be SUPER responsive and SUPER quiet, foor a very very short time then you will blow some injector orings and have antifreeze in the cylinders and fuel in the antifreeze, just nothing good about it.

So are you saying 70 is as high as you would go? Is that WOT, idle are what?

Last edited:

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
What I have read has me a little concerned in my sig are my mods. However, I do not have my 4 pos. chip from Tony yet its paid for just waiting on the backordered chips. Anyway, should I back down my fpress. below 70 or will I be ok with my 73 at idle. When I first shimmed it I had 80 at idle road tested it and it felt great but when I was in it pretty hard fpress went to 100psi. That kind of worried me so I backed it down to 68 and then decided a little more would be ok so I ended up with 72-74 at idle. Is this ok or should I back it down a little to say 65. I do not want to hurt my truck this thing is very dependable and I expect it to last a long time. Just don't know if I'm safe or not:dizzy

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you doing this weekend? I'll be over Mike K's casa Saturday afternoon in Arlington and could shim up your 7.3L in about 15 mins if you wanted to swing by.;tu

I'd like to upgrade from the shim to the Adjustable FPR complete with gauge

I'll have to give you a call when I can get up that way. To many things to take care of right now. Maybe I could have the upgraded by the rally and then we could install that. Have to see.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
What I have read has me a little concerned in my sig are my mods. However, I do not have my 4 pos. chip from Tony yet its paid for just waiting on the backordered chips. Anyway, should I back down my fpress. below 70 or will I be ok with my 73 at idle. When I first shimmed it I had 80 at idle road tested it and it felt great but when I was in it pretty hard fpress went to 100psi. That kind of worried me so I backed it down to 68 and then decided a little more would be ok so I ended up with 72-74 at idle. Is this ok or should I back it down a little to say 65. I do not want to hurt my truck this thing is very dependable and I expect it to last a long time. Just don't know if I'm safe or not:dizzy
Youre fuel pressure is fine @ 70 psi at idle. Typically the fuel pressure drops as throttle position increases with these trucks as it is. That is the main drive behind shimming the FPR, in stock form it is not uncommon to have between 0-5 psi fuel pressure.

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Youre fuel pressure is fine @ 70 psi at idle. Typically the fuel pressure drops as throttle position increases with these trucks as it is. That is the main drive behind shimming the FPR, in stock form it is not uncommon to have between 0-5 psi fuel pressure.

Is 70psi fine for my '03 7.3 because I see he has an OBS and I've heard they can handle more and still be dependable?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not speaking for Stroker but.. 70 psi is where the SD 7.3s need to be. It's been my exsperience that anything more causes more PIA leaks, and other issues.. than it's worth.

My 2K is 70 psi at idle, 68/70 at speed, 65 to 68 towing and never less than 64 at WOT (like pulling hard).

IMO, 70 psi is the Sweet Spot for us.

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Joe. Its a mod weekend this weekend. Hopefully. Finally found a place to get the fitting to hook the gauge up. Had to order it online. Couldnt find anybody local that had it. But I hope to do that and install my wicked wheel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14