Slight Vibration at take-off

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, as the title says, I have a slight vibration when I start to pull away from a dead stop. The vibration dissapers as soon as it starts. I hope it isn't anything serious! I am thinking either a U-Joint or maybe the carrier bearing. At what mileage does the bearing usually go out? I have around 70k and it is all original equipment.

Thanks
Scott

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what to tell ya, but I have one at 20 and 40 mph, and it vibrates alot from takeoff with a decent load behind you. They keep telling me it 's the tires, and I keep telling them I can replicate it without tires on jackstands. Ford rep is supposed to come out next week with an analyzer of some kind. They want me to bring a load...

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is stock height with the exception of airbags. I didn't think about them until now. I do have them aired up to around 30 psi but I can't remember if it was there before I installed them. I will drop the pressure and see if that makes a difference and also do some tire rotateing.

Thanks Guys
Scott

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
For the last year I have been fighting a vibration at takeoff. If your truck is at all modified from stock height I would seriously consider going to a one piece drive shaft. Currently Four wheel Parts in Denver is offering a one piece, parts and install their only charging 190.00 not sure if this is at all their stores.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, dumb question... why the hell do we have two piece drive shafts on our truck in the first place for anything longer that a regular cab 8 foot bed? Commercial trucks have longer spans than us, and they use less joints. What gves?

storage_man

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck had and still has a slight shudder on medium to hard acceration from a dead stop. It did it the day that I picked it up and still does today at 10k miles. It only does it from a standing start. Oh and it does it either empty or with a load. I believe its from the tranny slipping a bit.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have that, but the heavier the load or the harder you pull out the more prominent the vibration is. Plus I have the static ones at 20 and 40. 11,750 on the truck, did it from day 1.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Kleetus said:
okay, dumb question... why the hell do we have two piece drive shafts on our truck in the first place for anything longer that a regular cab 8 foot bed? Commercial trucks have longer spans than us, and they use less joints. What gves?
NVH
two piece allows more body and chassis movement before throwing things out of alignment,
you can tuck all the long stuff up under the truck better and out of harms way then have a short peice running down tp the diff.

4 joints, vice two
just my humble opinion :D

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh, maybe... I'd just think that less is more... it's going to be more simple, and certainly wouldn't be having the problem that I'm having now... too many moving parts!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58