Slight Vibration at take-off

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
YES, not getting the driveshaft back on the same way that it came off will cause it to vibrate.

Dave

dealer6

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
YES, not getting the driveshaft back on the same way that it came off will cause it to vibrate.

Dave

thanks i'll try rotating it see if i can get rid of the vibration
scott

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with that one... the flange should be balanced on it's own. Think about it. You'd have to get your entire driveline rebalanced every time you change a u joint or replaced a shaft. The Yoke, u joints and shafts are all balanced separately, so when they're all together, they're still balanced. Otherwise you'd have to change everything as a unit from the tranny flange to the flang on the rear axle.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Balanced shaft.

In the past drive shafts were balanced as a whole unit. If you had a two piece shaft, before removing one you needed to mark both shafts so you could realign them properly, or you would get a vibration because of imbalance. I just called Ford, and they still balance both shafts together. They are not balanced separately. Before removing one shaft just use a sharpie pen and mark both shafts.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right, if you have to split it at the u joint in the middle, like replacing a u joint. If you take it off at either flanged end, it doesn't make any difference which 4 bolt holes it goes back into.

Ya know, I just wonder if one of the houseplants that assembled my drive line payed attention to that... might be the whole problem, off by 90 degrees or so?

jwaring

Jim
Reaction score
I was looking at the carrier bearing on my 06 today. It looks like the rubber bushing around the bearing itself has a webbed type design to it. I wonder if this adds to the vibration? Seems like a solid rubber bushing to hold the bearing would do more to support the shaft and keep it from vibrating on take-off. Is anyone aware of a solid replacement bushing??
Just curious...
Thanks!

cthehentz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok, my question is how do'es one know when the carrier bearing is bad? My truck has just started to vibrate the past few days and when I went under the truck checking the U joints I noticed the carrier has some up and down play in it about 1/8" or so. Is this good, bad, normal, and if it's bad can I replace this myself or do I need to take it into the shop. I also have 57800 miles on my 03' 6.0 CC FX4.

jwaring

Jim
Reaction score
The bushing around the bearing will allow it to move a little. I'd say an 1/8" is normal. I doubt your bearing is bad. As the rubber bushing around the bearing wears; it may loosen up and get a little “sloppier” causing more vibration. Although- I only have about 8,000 miles on my truck and it vibrates when first accelerating (which seems common).

cthehentz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Cool deal, I think I may have found the source. I had new tires installed last month but just the past few days I have noticed this vibration. So last night I checked the tire preasure in all four and all of them were way off, so I set them to factory psi@ 60psi in the front and 70rear and today my steering wheel is off just a bit It pulls to the right. Now I will get the front end alignment done and I think that could be another reason for the vibration?

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
lots of guys have that probelem, even with stock height superduties. drop the carrier bearing. i added a total of 1" shim to mine and it's noticeably less. i may add another 1/8-1/4"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg