Steering stabilizer

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any such thing as a consensus as to what steering stabilizer would be best for an '04 Excursion?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The X has the same axles and steering as the trucks. The springs are a little softer but other than that they are the same.

_CH_

Nautiques Freak
Reaction score
any charged (as opposed to oil based where you need 2 IMHO) or one such as the the trailmaster 4 way
444211.jpg

would work well.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess the consensus is....
anything is betta than stock :)

but if you don't go off road....
or have oversized tires ...
not much of a concern it seems....

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I had 35" tires with a 4" lift on our Excursion and the steering stabilizer was still stock. No concern of mine.

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've towed our 34' TT with both a Suburban and an F250 CC long bed, and now the Excursion. From purely a towability perspective (we're not talking about power), the X is by far and away the worse of the three vehicles. I towed our TT for the first time with the X this past Friday and I was all over the road; almost constantly correcting for sway. Real white knuckle kinda' stuff.

I just purchased the Excursion and I immediately noticed some wander. So we're all on the same page, Ford's '04 Service Manual defines "wander" as "the tendency of the vehicle to require frequent, random left and right steering wheel corrections to maintain a straight path down a level road". I'm also aware of the fact that the X has rear end issues associated with Ford going to a mushier suspension system in order to meet the demands of the SUV market. At this point, I'm not concerned with the rear end of the truck. IMHO, the wandering issue is solely related to the front end.

The Excursion is 4WD with stock suspension and I have no plans to lift the vehicle. Assuming there's nothing mechanically wrong with any of the front end suspension components, this is my current plan:
1. Do an alignment;
2. Adjust steering gear meshload;
3. Go to either a Bilstein or Rancho shock on all four corners, and
4. Change out the stock steering stabilizer to a Bilstein or a Pro Comp or a
Rancho or a Fox or a Donahoe or a Fabtech or a ....

Not to sound hysterical, but this truck is just plain unsafe right now as a tow vehicle. We tow a lot and although my wife doesn't do too much of the driving, I certainly won't allow her behind the wheel until this problem is remedied.

Thoughts, concerns, advice?

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow with my X everyday. The Hellwig rear anti sway bar will fix 90% of your problem. Trust me on this. I'm going to replace the front one this week. Should handle like a million bucks.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many refer to it as rear end steering....
Landyot has developed some Radius rods that MANY swear by....

I don't tow much so I've not felt the need for it yet....

but I can say that the difference in ride and handling between the three Ex's I had is night and day....
the 02 4x2 was ok - needed a rear swaybar, the 03 4x4 needed shocks and sway bar and more, but the current 05 4x4 is the best of the bunch as is thus far!!!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg