Steering stabilizer

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I think it is a build date thing. They finally figured out that they needed them sometime in 04'. The might have forgot to install some on Fridays and Mondays too depending on if they were wanting to go home on Friday or were a little hung-over on Monday.

Last edited:

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
They finally figured out that they needed them sometime in 04'.

Just my luck.

Would anyone happen to know whether or not the '04s have a worm gear that can be adjusted on my steering box. I'm too lazy to risk taking out the air box and piping only to find out that I won't be able to adjust it anyway.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
PSD POWER007 said:
I wonder why Ford only put rear sways on some 4x4 X's on not on others???
It was a matter of parts availability on the KTP production line as the SuperDuty trucks had first dibs and the Excursions got the extras which is why some got em and others didn't.:rolleyes:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
spindrift said:
Just my luck.

Would anyone happen to know whether or not the '04s have a worm gear that can be adjusted on my steering box. I'm too lazy to risk taking out the air box and piping only to find out that I won't be able to adjust it anyway.
Yes the gearbox is the same for 2000-2005 model Excursions and are adjustable.

On top of gearbox is a stud with lock/jamnut,loosen the jamnut and turn stud to snug up the play on worm gear.Make light small 1/8 to 1/4 turn adjustments as the internal gearing can get damaged if He-manned.

The adjustment is done best with a helper rocking the steering wheel left to right until the wheel play is removed,then back off slightly & snug down the jamnut.

Thanks to Snowman269 for the how-to:thumbs

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI all, I ordered the Hellwig front swat bar kit for my X. Guess we'll find out if it comes with new end links like the rear one. It's got to help even if it doesn't.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The endlinks that come with the Hellwig kits today are non adjustable unlike earlier versions which were.

PSD POWER007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Hellwig rear sway kit that I bought a month ago came with adjustable endlinks.
CHPMustang said:
The endlinks that come with the Hellwig kits today are non adjustable unlike earlier versions which were.

tfalk

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There has to be a way to figure out why some of the Ex's are exhibiting this behavior and some aren't. I had a long talk with Spindrift over the weekend, his truck behaves just like my 05 that I traded in a few weeks ago. He bought my Bilsteins and air bags, but I'm not convinced that will fix his truck either.

I think he's on the right track, in that I believe the problem with the newer trucks may be more in the front end than the rear-steer that the pre-04 models exhibit. The radius rods have too good of a reputation to not work, yet I noticed no change in the handling of my 05 when I installed them. Based on that, I have to conclude the problem was not coming from the rear. I have a set of Stempf bushings but never got a chance to install them. I still wonder if adding some negative camber would have helped.

Tom, if you opt to go with a Ford sway bar instead of the Hellwig, let me know. I still have the receipt somewhere with the part number for the 30mm I tried on my Ex. I'd have sold it to you, but my 06 F250 does not have a rear bar. I think I can make it work if I get the end links and mount brackets.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
tfalk said:
There has to be a way to figure out why some of the Ex's are exhibiting this behavior and some aren't.
A small part if it may be that some drivers do not notice it as much as some others. I always felt like I was herding our Excursion down the road a little but the wife never seemed to notice or else she didn't care..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg