Steering stabilizer

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
spindrift said:
WZ...Weighing in didn't mean a reference to your r-rods.

Should the engine be running to properly adjust the worm gear on the steering box?

Oops ... sorry. No, the engine does not have to be running to adjust the worm gear. Like mentioned before, make very small adjustments. Overtightening here will ruin your worm gear ... or at least cause it to wear out prematurely.

Wawuzat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wawuzat said:
Oops ... sorry. No, the engine does not have to be running to adjust the worm gear. Like mentioned before, make very small adjustments. Overtightening here will ruin your worm gear ... or at least cause it to wear out prematurely.

Let me add that while the engine does not need to be running, the ignition key should be inserted and positioned so the steering wheel does not lock while turning it.

HCAbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Yes the gearbox is the same for 2000-2005 model Excursions and are adjustable.

On top of gearbox is a stud with lock/jamnut,loosen the jamnut and turn stud to snug up the play on worm gear.Make light small 1/8 to 1/4 turn adjustments as the internal gearing can get damaged if He-manned.

The adjustment is done best with a helper rocking the steering wheel left to right until the wheel play is removed,then back off slightly & snug down the jamnut.

Thanks to Snowman269 for the how-to:thumbs

I will have to try that, but only after I replace tie rods! The ends are shot and I know it...just saving pennies to do it all!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg