Stuffin a square peg in a round hole!

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
twildman said:
Rick, are you planning on going to bandimere again this year?

Well I do not know. We are in the planning stages right now and WY keeps coming up but I just can not find anything out there! Even that Yellowstone thing does not interest me with the fees they want to charge!
I am leaning toward CO again, lots we did not get to see and they have TWO paper backs full of back roads and trails!
Need to keep the trip under 3,000 miles due to fuel cost. Anything over 2,000is going to hurt at close to 3.00 per gallon!
Ryan, do not hate me because I am beautiful! Oh wait that’s not what you said!
Just do it, it isn’t rocket science!
You can get set up for about 500 bucks and that’s buying retail at the hardware store and 200 bucks of that will be a new hot water heater.

Got the filler neck cleaned up and sized up. Looks like its going to work. I may have to do a little cutting and welding to get the angle right and to adapt it to the 2" pipe thread inlet on the tank. The filler I picked up has the vent built on the outside unlike our stock ones that have a plastic tube running up center of it. I think the BD would eat the plastic up. So going to have to tie the vent into the tank somewhere.
I also got the "Pocket" off the utility bed that the filler neck came off of. That will make the filler neck "recess (inset) mount" on the outside of the camper shell.
Will also have to run a tube from this filler pocket back into the shell and out the bottom of the bed, incase of overfill it has some place to go besides down the painted side of the shell and truck.
I still think I am missing something with venting. I keep thinking I have to have an open vent up higher than the tank, otherwise, if it is sealed, under use it will go into a vacuum. Not worried about fumes as BD is harmless and not classified as flammable, it even smells good (at least to me).

Still thinking about that Dana 60 I saw... I think I will go by there and at least see what they want for it. It was on a late 70's model truck (I think, not real good with older ford IDing). The truck had a lift kit on it, must have been an 8" lift and looked like all springs upfront and blocks in the rear. Should have gotten numbers off the axle. Oh well......

Rick H...

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
rickh said:
Well I do not know. We are in the planning stages right now and WY keeps coming up but I just can not find anything out there! Even that Yellowstone thing does not interest me with the fees they want to charge!
Rick

Dont count out SE Wyoming, there is alot of good stuff just out of Laramie, up and over Snowy Range on down the west side into Baggs. Lakes, streams, trails, back roads etc etc..... If you come to Wyoming, be sure to drop me a line first. Dont know what my time frame and schedule will be, but we might be able to hook up.

Mike:burnit

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Rick

Dont count out SE Wyoming, there is alot of good stuff just out of Laramie, up and over Snowy Range on down the west side into Baggs. Lakes, streams, trails, back roads etc etc..... If you come to Wyoming, be sure to drop me a line first. Dont know what my time frame and schedule will be, but we might be able to hook up.

Mike:burnit

Ok Mike...
Do you know of a publication that shows trails in that area? I can not find anything.
Worked on the tank last night just not much time to get it done!
Got the filter and Pollack valve installed only to find the kit is missing the pollack valve electrical plug, dang it!
I have been testing some Park Haniffin #801 hose. It has been soaking in 100% biodiesel fo almost a week. No signs of degration. I put some other black fuels line in there and it is slowly turning to mush. Just started testing High Pressure FI line but at 4 something a foot I will not be using that even if it with stands 100% BD!
Rick H...

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
WOW. That was a LOT of work!
Now I know why the install of a transfer flow can be $400 and up!
Got everything tied together, fuel side and electrical side and all seems to be working. Kind of different cutting into the fuel line and having the fuel smell like somebodies cooking something! Sure beats the smell of petrol diesel! Have not filled the aux tank yet. Next drangon to slay is the through the camper shell filler neck.
Somethng to note that came out of this project... Parker Haniffin #801 hose seems to be unaffected by 100% Biodiesel. I have had a sample soaking in it for 10 days now and it shows no sign of degradation. Well see what the log term brings. I would suspect after a month or so of exposure I would be confident in saying that the hose IS 100% compatable.
Well see.....
Will try and get some pics up of the valving etc.
Rick H...

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Ok got it all hooked up and working. Man that was a bigger job than I thought it would. A lot of custom fabing.
And so far NO LEAKS! Only thing left to do it hook up the heater on the filter. Not a priority though.
Rick H...

TankInBed.jpg

ThruShellFill.jpg

FuelLineTieIn.jpg

http://www.omahametropsd.org/PollokValve.jpg

http://www.omahametropsd.org/InBedFill.jpg

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
First Class Rick!! just a little disappointed....expected to see @ least four gauges on the tank to moniter bio temp, viscosity, flow rate, and color:thumbs :thumbs

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Hmmm, never thought of that! Really tried to avoid modding this truck.
BUT I JUST CAN NOT HELP MYSELF! :D
I think I need threapy or something .:dunno
The decission to cut out the wheel wells was a big one, but I think In the long run, the extra capacity will be worth it.
Put 30 gallons in the tank and that got it to 1/8 on the gauge, so seems the gauge is off. On a 110 gallon that should be 1/3 or so of a tank. The float is adjustable but I hate the thought of having to pull it out! I will see what it does full up and decide then.
Next on the agenda, on board air........
Rick H...

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
for you guys that don't know Rick, He is the Master @ gauges and tricks in the cockpit......here is a couple of examples: (hope this works)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14