suggestions on stereo stuff??

550roofer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U have a JL amp, I'm jelous, they have soo many switches and buttons.

The reason I turn my amp down is i can turn it up on my pioneer deck when i need to (stop lights!) Also after working at an audio install shop called Illustions, i picked up that tip to run amps at 3/4. It doesn't matter with JL audio amps because they are built better. They also have a cool sensor that tells that amp what ohms load is being presented and gives out 500watts at 2 or 4 ohms. As for other amps, they are all rated different. If i see a THD rating of THD<0.05, the watts rating is pretty accurate. But if it reads THD<0.1, this mean the manufactuter allows for more total harmonic distortion (noise). So when the power rating is givin, its high, its almost like a lie since when u turn it up it is distorted. so when u have an amp and do not want to turn it up all the way till it is distorted, just put the gain to slightly less than full.

Don't expect u to relate bushpilot:) , JL amps probably don't distort and will allow the user to make adjustments on the amp to get the perfect sound;tu

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U have a JL amp, I'm jelous, they have soo many switches and buttons.

The reason I turn my amp down is i can turn it up on my pioneer deck when i need to (stop lights!) Also after working at an audio install shop called Illustions, i picked up that tip to run amps at 3/4. It doesn't matter with JL audio amps because they are built better. They also have a cool sensor that tells that amp what ohms load is being presented and gives out 500watts at 2 or 4 ohms. As for other amps, they are all rated different. If i see a THD rating of THD<0.05, the watts rating is pretty accurate. But if it reads THD<0.1, this mean the manufactuter allows for more total harmonic distortion (noise). So when the power rating is givin, its high, its almost like a lie since when u turn it up it is distorted. so when u have an amp and do not want to turn it up all the way till it is distorted, just put the gain to slightly less than full.

Don't expect u to relate bushpilot:) , JL amps probably don't distort and will allow the user to make adjustments on the amp to get the perfect sound;tu

switches and dials scare you ??? and you work at an "audio" shop ?
ive got a pioneer deck too...traversing menus to pump up the bass
is a JOKE...unless youre at some kinda SPL show.

setting the level at 3/4 of rated output is so you can handle the
peaks <w/out blowing SOMETHING>...but you dont care about peaks
since all you do is play test tones apparently !

as for "turn it up at a traffic light..." well pretty much goes back to
what i said...i build *MY* systems for ME...in *MY* truck not to annoy
other folks at traffic lights.

fwiw...if you wanna do that ****...roll up your windows and turn it down
to a reasonable level...if it sounds so good <which i *KNOW* it doesnt>.

im not tryin to impress anyone w/my system...and your not impressing
anyone w/ YOURS <at the traffic lights> !

i think its interesting that you bash jl...yet have no experiance...probably
too high end for you or your customers :innocent

550roofer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
apparantly u thought i bashed JL, well u were mistaken, and u also thought i am scared of dials and dodads. U couldn't be more wrong. Ilove dialing in a new setup. and for stop lights, its something u older guys wouldnt understand

550roofer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, i build all my own sub boxes too, I created an odd shape that creates a lot more base out of the same size enclosure. Its a mix of a round box with a square bottom. This lets the box become a little longer and narrower, creates deeper base, ive had people say they are twice as loud with my custom boxes.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh yeah, i build all my own sub boxes too, I created an odd shape that creates a lot more base out of the same size enclosure. Its a mix of a round box with a square bottom. This lets the box become a little longer and narrower, creates deeper base, ive had people say they are twice as loud with my custom boxes.

interesting designs...reminds me of the old kicker sub tube or
bazooka's subs.

the problem for TOO MANY OF US is that we want good quality
sound but we dont want to sacrifice usable space, storage OR
seating area.

its a delicate "trade off" sometimes trying to determine the
best location, while maintaining a stock/factory look or a system
that doesnt require the removal of the entire REAR seating area.

550roofer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, definately got the idea from bazooka bass tubes. This is what i came up with that would be easy to make over and over. Also anyone could make it for less than $40 (12"sub box) in their garage. Only the tops are fiberglass (as shown in pic#3) and the majority is MDF. My first one was kinda messy, but i had zero experience with fibeglass. I would still have it today, but someone broke into my truck and took most of my stereo stuff. Just so everyone knows, ONE bolt w/ washer thru the mdf on a sub box does not work, the mdf break and ur box is gone.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ANOTHER reason why i HATE MDF ! it might be easy to work w/
but at the same time its easily broken !

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the things ive been toying around w/ is running a STOCK
head unit thru a band saw...preserving the FRONT/FASCIA such that
i can use it as a "COVER" for my existing head unit...

my expectation would be such that some tweeked out crack head
looks in the window, sees the factory unit (face) and walks away.

550roofer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is a goal i'm sure many people are after, the only thing i can think of is a product called cleansweep. U keep the stock deck and can run aftermarket amps. Only other thing would be to photocopy the stock headunit and stick it over ur deck when u park the truck.

if u really think ur idea could work, try it with a cheap deck, my 550 can with just am/fm. No tape or cd, but fills up the dash like all theother headunits.now that i think about it, i'm gonna try it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58