Thanks all, it has been grand.

Teggleston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Richard,
I have been there and won, keep your head up and keep your mind clear. This is hard with the passing of a loved one and then the strain of their bills and collectors. Do not give up and do not let them beat you down. You have more rights then you may know but you will have to research them. God Bless and good luck do not hesitate to lean on your freinds here.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Like all good things, my membership at SDD must now come to an end. As you are aware, my father's passing last October left quite a legal and financial mess. It has gotten to the point where I must do a serious liquidation of assets in order to settle affairs. So this week, the Beast, the RV, and the house are going on the market in order to settle the remaining affairs.

I would urge all of you with older relatives that they do have explicit instructions for their final affairs, and medical coverage to cover any catastrophic illness. My father had neither, and now his creditors are coming to me for the balance.

You all have been super, great friends that I have never met in person, but ones who would always give me good advice and fraternal friendship.

Good luck and God bless you all.

Richard

I'm sorry to hear of your problems, but if you haven't yet done so, you may want to talk to a lawyer. Just because you may be next of kin, I don't believe makes you responsible for your father's debt.

Recently, my dad was the exectutor for my cousin's estate, who had passed unexpectedly. When her creditors came after him for her bills, he told them to go screw themselves and that he wasn't liable for her debts. The creditors persisted, but it was all bullying tactics. The harassments stopped once a lawyer got involved. The creditors even tried to sieze the life insurance money, but it was not considered to be an asset of the deceased and couldn't be touched by the creditors. They repo-ed her car and a few other things, but couldn't go after any next of kin or life insurance death benefit.

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO, NO, Ray you are family here at SSD.com and please don't turn your back on your friends here. We have never met in person but we all knew who was there to call on in time of need. Your knowledge of these trucks is to great for you just to drop us. God has been with you though things in the past and He will get you though this. Now reread what Tail Gunner wrote. I just don't think you are liable for his debts.

DragonSlayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that....but I don't see how you can be responsible for your dads debt. I'd get a lawyer before you get rid of all your stuff.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this news Richard, I will miss what you brought to our site. Go knowing that when things are back on track that you will be welcomed back like an absent family member.

Mike

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said, keep in contact. A good website is made up of very nice people, and you are part of it. I hope all works out for you.

Maxtor

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Richard be sure to come by from time to time and say hi. You are welcome on the site no matter what you drive.

We have no idea what your particular situation is but in most cases Tail Gunner is correct. Unless you were a co-signer you are not liable. They will threaten and try to make you pay but it is just a bluff that needs to be called.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others stated, don't leave the family. You have lots of knowledge for everyone to use. Tell the creditors to go piss up a rope. Keith

mwberg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So sorry, it is horrible to lose a family member under the best of circumstances. When you end up with financial burden also, that much worse.

You have all my wishes and prayers. :sorry

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
In most cases, next of kin is not responsible for debts of the deceased. The estate of the deceased is. If the estate does not have the money, then your Dad's credit rating is really going to drop, but I'm pretty sure he could care less at this point.

I guess my point is this:

They're going to tell you a lot of things to get you to pay up, but the legal ins and outs of the situation are only going to be decipherable by a lawyer. The creditors will bully you like crazy, tell you all sorts of things that are not true to get their money, but int he end, 90% of the time, it just ain't your deal, man. Don't give in without a fight!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58