Thanks all, it has been grand.

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
Richard, You need an Attorney RIGHT NOW. This will haunt you for the rest of you life. Don't let them win because they are too incompetent to read teh few lines of information that separates you from your father (RIP). I know it seems like the easy thing to do is give in, but it will never end unless you play hard ball RIGHT NOW. Like said above, find a lawyer that works on contingency, otherwise they lose as well. It makes them go the extra distance and actually earn their money. Your Father stuck it to the government, don't let his efforts be in vein.

I have the same name as my father also, I have spent the last 5 years getting our credit reports straightened out. You need to separate the two of you now or this will hurt you. I'm pretty sure that once you pay them anything, you assume responsibility for the debt and it will go on your credit. Giving in could potentially ruin you financially for life. You need an ATTORNEY.

Get some help from a legal professional immediately and immeditaely start telling the collector to not call you, (might not be an issue without a phone, thank god for small miracles ;)). It is not you they are looking for and tell them you would be more than happy to have an attorney provide them with a copy of the death certificate. You need to play hardball or this will never stop.

I saw this happen to a buddy that didn't even have the same name as his father, but yet he felt responsible for his fathers debt and started paying, the attorney said it was 3 times the work to fix eveything than if he never paid a dime and called a legal professional in the beginning.

I am truly sorry for your loss, and I know neither one of us have a clue who the other one is. BUT there are people here who know you and who you know and they are saying the same thing.

Sincerely,
Peter

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
Good luck Richard !!! I hate to the the system failing like it is with you.. I agree w/ Kent and Peter. Get a lawyer,PLEASE. People get away w/ all kinds of crap w/ a good lawyer. You shouldn't be put thru all this.. I'm only about 2 1/2 hours away if you want to come hang out on the Chattahoochee River for a couple of days and blow off some steam :)

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Bump.

How about a update Richard!! Things looking up any? Have you talked to legal representation yet?

Don't leave us hangin' & wonderin'.

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Richard, sorry to hear about your troubles. I will recommend some very good things that I have recently learned. First of all, have you heard of Dave Ramsey? He is a guy that knows almost everything about creditors. He has lost everything and knows all the legal especially reguarding this. Toll free number is 1-888-22PEACE.

When talking to these creditors if they keep calling, keep your cool. They use scar tactics. Also if they don't have your social security number they can't put it against your credit. I use to work for Capital One for awhile to put some food on the table. Anyone other than student loans or the IRS can't garnish your wages or get a hold of your bank account without a taking you to court and winning. If they take you to court then that is the perfect time to be able to explain everything to the court that it is not your debt.

Second thing, find a local library. They have free internet access that away you can keep intouch with us if something happens to the cable in the meantime until you get this sorted out.

But seriously call Dave Ramsey. They can really help in financial trying times. I have been there and am working out of it. Good luck and God Bless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58