Thanks all, it has been grand.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I really mean it.

Here's the problem in a nutshell. One problem is the bank. Dad died intestate, leaving a small amount of money in the bank. It would cost twice as much to get the money out by going through probate as would be recovered.

The only differences in the data between my dad and myself are:

middle name
birthdate
social security account number
one digit in the address. He lived at 6114. I live at 6116.

I'm retired military, 100 percent disabled and in receipt of full disability pension and Social Security disability payments. In the eyes of the debtors, the bank, and the IRS, they now have a means of getting their money by garnishing my monthly benefit checks, by presenting a writ of garnishment to my credit union for the money in my account. The credit union doesn't get the truck payment or the RV payment, the mortgage company doesn't get the loan payment, the utilities, you get the picture I don't owe the money my father did, but because of the similarities between my father and myself I have to fight EVERY debtor by filing statements with the county clerk of court. And they don't work for free. Is it wrong? Most certainly. Can I fight it? I can hire an attorney to do the heavy lifting, but I don't have the funds to do it because I have little funds coming in. (My wife's salary goes to her own personal account) Can it be resolved? Most certainly and in my favor. The only problem is that in the meantime I have to eat and pay bills. My congressman and senator's office are working the problem with the IRS now, and I may get this straightened out sooner with them in my corner. Dad died owing the feds more than $50,000. Long story, practically all of it is interest and penalties from non-payment of taxes after he lost his job 20 years ago.

What it comes down to is some computer making a partial match to my name and that is setting off alarm bells. This has happened before, but not to this extent. Until the last few years, I did not know that the name Richard Ray is as common as John Smith. Several years ago the state of Florida filed a lien against my home because another Richard Ray, a general contractor, failed to pay workman's compensation insurance and professional license fees, and was being sued by the state and several disgruntled clients.

It says a lot about the quality of work some faceless bureaucrats do when they don't go as far as checking birthdates, social security numbers, and addresses. They see what they think is a match, sign a few forms, press a few keys, and then they get another case off their desk. No matter that the work is incorrect, it's PRODUCTIVITY that is what their bosses look for.

It's stuff like this that has turned me prematurely gray. If I can get this ironed out in the next month, I may get to keep something. I may not get around here much, but I will keep you posted. The phone doesn't work because the phone company doesn't want to work with me. Thankfully the cable company that does provide internet access does, and I can use Skype.

Thanks again, guys. God bless all of you.:)

Richard

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The only differences in the data between my dad and myself are:

middle name
birthdate
social security account number
one digit in the address. He lived at 6114. I live at 6116.

That blows my mind that the IRS would take your money when the one that owned the money has a different SSN.:cussing: I hope you can get this all straightened out very soon :goodluck

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
That blows my mind that the IRS would take your money when the one that owned the money has a different SSN
I was going to comment on this but this statement kind of says it all.
Jim

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother is a Junior and often runs into the same problems. He ended up putting everything he buys in joint ownership with his wife, and with her name listed first. My parents have marginally better control of their money now, but, it still gives my bro nightmares.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hang in there...fight the good fight and DONT GIVE UP...i have to tell you
though i gotta love the fact that your dad kinda stuck it to the IRS :D

im confident that itll all work out, it wont be easy i know.

Dad died owing the feds more than $50,000. Long story, practically all of it is interest and penalties from non-payment of taxes after he lost his job 20 years ago.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Fight it Richard, you served your country and got a piece of the American dream, dont let it all go over a name similarity. Fight fight fight!!!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
....Can I fight it? I can hire an attorney to do the heavy lifting, but I don't have the funds to do it because I have little funds coming in....

I'd think that there would be a clear cut case for mental anguish, pain & suffering, defamation of character, gross incompetance to name a few charges. Many lawyers will work for a percentage of the monetary settlement or for free if they loose the case. In light of the many agencies that could be named as defendents if you were to seek damages, I'd be surprised if the lawyers weren't lined up outside your front door.

I'd also consider seeking a judicial restraining order against reposesstion of personal property pending outcome of the other matters which I'm sure will be settled in your favor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58