Thinking of trading in your diesel on gas??

AKmud

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just can't bring myself to drive one of those 40mpg rice rockets simply because of the safety issues. I had a Dodge 2500 Cummins last year and was in a wreck in April where a kid lost control of his Expedition and came into my lane sideways. I T-boned him and spun him into the ditch where he went rear end into a 20" birch tree. Both rigs were totaled but we all walked away. Had I been in a compact car, he would have rolled right over the top of me and I'd probably be dead.

To me, the small difference in $$ for fuel is CHEAP insurance that will actually protect me in an accident. Thus my wife drives a full size Chevy Suburban and I have my F350 PSD.

I'm in law enforcement and have handled hundreds of accidents and the big car always wins. We call it "The lug nut rule"......he who has the most lug nuts wins! ;tu

The carnage....

truck4-08.jpg

Last edited:

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*bump*

Interesting to pull this back and read our comments.

For me, I wound up keeping my PSD and buying a Denali XL for the fambly hauler. I don't pull my race trailer as much as I used to, so I really just commute with my PSD anymore.

I'm keeping it because I figure the acquisition costs of a new vehicle (tax, etc. etc.) and current prices of fuel do not justify getting another vehicle. Certainly with the current late model trucks getting really poor mileage on gas there's just no advantange to be gained by getting a gasser.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sold on anything Diesel. I'll never own another Gas engine.

When our 99 Windstar craps out, whatever we go with, it will be a Diesel of some sort. Hybrid maybe, but the internal combustion engine component will operate on the Diesel principle. Compression~Heat= Combustion. Simple.. I like Simple.

Gasoline engines are WAY, WAY to complicated anymore. They've lived their technological Life.

New Diesel (principle) technology is out there.. In the next 3 to 5years, I think we'll see it start to have an effect on what powers our motive needs.

Jus my .03

Weeell.. looks like I Reneged on that one. :dunno

We (she) bought a Ford Tracker to replace the Windstar.( still a Ford though;))

I (we) looked around for something Diesel or Hybrid but.. In the Used Car Market..... Diesel anything ? To suit our needs ? There Ain't none. Hybrid ? To Much Money.

Maybe next time.

Joe

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a Ford Tracker?

Kindofa mid-size 4 door, 4wd, 1/2 ton short bed pick-up look'n thing.

Ford Explorer Sport Trac, aka: Tracker ('round here anyway)

LOADED, with all the Bells & Whistles.. Real good deal so we (she) got it.

Joe

Last edited:

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny , I wasn't on this forum in 08 but I did just what everyone is talking about . I traded in my 2000 PSD on an 08 V-10 . Both CC Duallys , both with 4.10 gears . The V-10 got horrible mileage 8-10 and wouldn't pull my 24' car hauler worth a damn , always revved to the moon to keep up with traffic . Well 9 months later I sold my 08 V-10 and bought a low milage Diesel dually and will never go any other direction . I drive my truck everywhere , everyday . It gets better mileage than the wives Mountaindeer (what the kids call it ) and equal to my 05 Mustang GT with 4 times the comfort . We take it on long trips as well as to dinner .

Scot

;()
Reaction score
If you pull heavy or large (wind resistant) on a regular basis Diesel is the only way to go. If you pull occasionally you will never recoup your costs on the diesel upgrade cost and maintenance. In your situation, not being a die hard diesel nut. I would have trouble justifying the "D". (((On edit: you said, 'you pull a lot' sometimes I'm blind and miss these things))) So your situation is similar to mine. How much are you driving??

Here's my numbers:

I run 30K a year, probably 25K of towing.

My total weight is about 14-15K & I never see less than 11mpg.

Driving the way I do, with the equivalent V10 gas I would be lucky to see 6-7mpg.

Last year I spent about 8K$ on fuel.

If I was driving the V10 that 8K$ would have been more like 14K$ so in my case the diesel pays for itself.

So my initial cost was 6K more for the diesel but over the 120K miles I've run so far I've saved 15-20K$ in fuel by not having the gasser.

Until/unless diesel cost 2X gas - the math is simple in my situation.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58