Thinking of trading in your diesel on gas??

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maxtor:
I don't disagree with you. We are all feeling the pinch to some degree, even if its only a philosophical objection to being victimized by these circumstances. I am not of the "philosophical category: Money matters to me!
My truck serves a REAL purpose (actually more than one..) in my life. If I didn't NEED the vehicle, I would have biought a new Corvette for nearly the same price, my wife's vehement objections notwithstanding! I love the truck and love driving it, but not nearly as much as that new 'vette and the 20+MPG they get!! But I need and like it enough to make that compromise (Besides: My wife said " NO MORE CORVETTES! That ended THAT discussion!)

OBTW: Wait to see what the 2009's are going to cost! The manufacturers are all cutting back production, and less commodity (trucks)= higher prices. The deals on these trucks at this point was another considertaion for a purchase at this point in time...jt

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
There seems to be alot of people who bought these trucks that either don't need them and / or can't afford them. I know a few guys who dumped their rigs within the last 6 months. And not just diesel's. From what I can see an 8.1 gas job is hard to keep fed. As much as I like the big Fords it is beyond me why you would have one if your not towing / hauling some serious weight. There is no shame in living within your means. If the truck is too much, get rid of it. Or buy a beater. I make a decent living and mine rolls when its making me money. If its not, it sits in the driveway. If I didn't need it, I wouldn't have it. :dunno

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked a good many years for an excavation contractor with a lot of equipment and trucks. His philosophy on his equipment was:
"If its not out MAKING me money, its COSTING me money." That's a tough argument to beat. These can be expensive ornaments.

I still believe the diesel will turn out to be a better investment in the long run...Just my opinion, so I am NOT entertaining arguments.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I worked a good many years for an excavation contractor with a lot of equipment and trucks. His philosophy on his equipment was:
"If its not out MAKING me money, its COSTING me money."

That is an interesting point of view.
I never thought of it that way. I just pick the vehicle that I want to drive to do the job that needs to be done.
Example: I do not use the focus to pull the 5th wheel. (PSD)
Example: I do not use the PSD to race at the drag strip. (Falcon, 428SCJ)
Example: I do not use the 240ZV8 to go on long trips. (Focus)
Example: I do not use the Explorer on the road course. (240ZV8)
Example: I do not use the Falcon going four wheeling. (Explorer)

I find it interesting to see others points of view.
All is good.
:sweet

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting point of view.
I never thought of it that way. I just pick the vehicle that I want to drive to do the job that needs to be done.
Example: I do not use the focus to pull the 5th wheel. (PSD)
Example: I do not use the PSD to race at the drag strip. (Falcon, 428SCJ)
Example: I do not use the 240ZV8 to go on long trips. (Focus)
Example: I do not use the Explorer on the road course. (240ZV8)
Example: I do not use the Falcon going four wheeling. (Explorer)

I find it interesting to see others points of view.
All is good.
:sweet

(240ZV8) C O O L!!
(Falcon, 428SCJ) DOUBLE COOL!!

I agree completely and without reservation: I pick the best tool (or vehicle) for the job

I haven't yet figured how to hang my F-350 as a Christmas ornament

OBTW: I bet the Falcon with the 428 CJ would pull your 5th wheel...If you added training wheels maybe?

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(240ZV8) C O O L!!
(Falcon, 428SCJ) DOUBLE COOL!!

I agree completely and without reservation: I pick the best tool (or vehicle) for the job

I haven't yet figured how to hang my F-350 as a Christmas ornament

OBTW: I bet the Falcon with the 428 CJ would pull your 5th wheel...If you added training wheels maybe?
The Falcon is a 1960, with a 428SCJ, straight axle, C-6, 9" posi, and nitrous.
:lmao Besides all four tires blowing out, and crushing the uni-body, it might work pulling the 5th wheel. :lmao
With the 10 gallon fuel cell, frequent stops for (racing) gas would be a bummer, but it is street legal. :eek:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
There seems to be alot of people who bought these trucks that either don't need them and / or can't afford them. I know a few guys who dumped their rigs within the last 6 months. And not just diesel's. From what I can see an 8.1 gas job is hard to keep fed. As much as I like the big Fords it is beyond me why you would have one if your not towing / hauling some serious weight. There is no shame in living within your means. If the truck is too much, get rid of it. Or buy a beater. I make a decent living and mine rolls when its making me money. If its not, it sits in the driveway. If I didn't need it, I wouldn't have it. :dunno
Ahhhh, finally.... a voice of reason. Nice post!

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I agree. Knowing how things turned out, if I could do it over again, I would of bought a used Tacoma or new F150. Those are the only other trucks I really like that would of made more sense. Or maybe even a new GMC 1500 "classic", b/c at my buying time GM had the older bodies on the lot and new ones there also and they had awsome deals on the older classic bodies.

centexkr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I thought about trading it in. Brought the truck because liked the
looks (yes a smaller gas truck (Toyota) would have been fine) of
the king Ranch pkg. What put a sour taste here was the mileage,
10mpg seems like you were constantly stopping if used it on a
trip. So shopped it around and with 10K dealers either didnt
want it or offer less than half what paid for it. They just
recommended just hanging on to it (paid cash for the truck)
and pick up a smaller vehicle (offered a good deal on a Focus).
So even with fuel half what it was working great now with
the vehicle variety. What they said was ones that financed
are really under a rock with these trucks.

Only problems with the truck so far has been the recalls and
a turbo Flutter issue. Which after 4 days at the shop they
determined was normal but to keep an eye on it.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I played with trading my truck in. But my 3 month old grandson changed my mind. His mom has a small car and he does not like riding in it or small cars. He will scream his head off until he gets out of the car or cars. Put him in my truck and he is happy in all get out to be in it. It's something about big trucks that makes little boys happy. :sweet

Plus, I only have to stop 2 times to get to Ohio in the truck for fuel costing 189.00 for the trip up. In the jeep TJ, I had to stop 5 times for gas in the jeep costing 170.00 bucks on top of that my legs hurt, back hurt and other parts hurt. For the confront part 20 buck more I would rather spend it in the truck.;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58