Thinking of trading in your diesel on gas??

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
:DHave you figured the cost difference per mile of STARBUCKS coffee versus DUNKIN DONUTS coffee:lmao

Exactly! My point is, I can afford both! I was challenging the assertion that PSD's "cannot be driven as a daily driver"!!!

For the record, my questions were intended to seperate facts from rhetoric. If the purpose of this thread is to determine whether or not someone should trade in their PSD for a gasser, facts and stats should be infused into the discussion at some point. For instance, I find it rather comical that nobody has ever heard an economist say "Diesel will forever be more expensive than gas", yet somehow some guys on the SDD forum know! And we're going to advise jonwright/others to sell his truck and buy a gasser based on....what? Rhetoric???

Thus far there has been mostly opinion, and very little in the way of facts. I was just trying to bring the discussion basis back to facts.

Anyway, I've probably had far too much to say on this, so I'll leave it at that!

Last edited:

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem here,,,, just buy a economy gas car for everyday driving and keep the PSD for when you need it to haul or tow something.

Example:

Hot August Nights car show in Reno is 220 miles away. To drive there and back with the PSD is about $116 at present diesel prices. Our gas Focus on that same trip would cost $58. Exactly half. Both vehicles are comfortable. The $58 savings is good for taking the mrs. out to dinner.
So the PSD sits under the car port with a Car Craft Cover over it. When I need it, it is ready to go.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JLD-exactly.

A lot of people seem to think having a F250 for commuting is ridiculous now. I got screwed b/c I got a heck of a deal on my truck when diesel was $2.35/gal. Now I'm up the creek, can't sell it, can't trade, can't afford to drive it daily as it was bought to do so. Can't afford to buy a 2nd car. I should have bought a 2002-2004 Tacoma Xcab TRD v6 5spd. Instead I got a good price on a nice truck that people love to break into, doesn't fit in the city, hard as heck to park and eats $4.55/gal fuel and gets an average of 16mpg. Not to mention 4gallon oil changes, $20 oil filters and high insurance, and barely fits in my garage after I hired a contractor to move a wall to make it fit so people don't break into while it sits b/c fuel is to expensive. it's a visious cycle that I'm getting tired of. I really miss my 4runner that was built to the hill and got 19mpg on$3.65/gal fuel, $5 oil filters, 5qt oil changes and dirt cheap insurance. Hate to rant, but I'm getting frustrated.

Last edited:

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
JLD-exactly.

I got a good price on a nice truck that people love to break into, doesn't fit in the city, hard as heck to park and eats $4.55/gal fuel and gets an average of 16mpg. Not to mention 4gallon oil changes, $20 oil filters and high insurance, and barely fits in my garage after I hired a contractor to move a wall to make it fit so people don't break into while it sits b/c fuel is to expensive. it's a visious cycle that I'm getting tired of.

Other than the price of fuel, everyone of those things, has been the same for years. If you didn't research the vehicly you bought, and didn't know it takes 15 quarts of oil, That it's big and harder to manuever in a city, can be difficult to park, and might not fit in a standard garage, and is high on the theft list, Then that is YOUR fault, Not Ford's, not the economy's, yours' and yours alone! :nudge

If you want out of it so bad, take it out of the dang garage, take it to a bad part of town, roll the windows 1/3 of the way down, lock it, and leave it for a few days.

To complain about fuel prices is one thing, we all are having to deal with them, go find a Toyata forum if you wanna complain about how big it is. :bp

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High on the theft list is something I really got suprised with.... didn't see that one coming. the rest are my fault. So Fuel prices & Theft I got swindled on :tounge OH well, some days are tougher to deal with it, some days I love the truck more.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as using our trucks as a daily driver - no hauling or towing, which they excell at, I'm hearing the screams from other PSD owners at the fillup pump.

These owners, like me, love and enjoy driving our rigs, but we talk about how increasely difficult to keep using as a daily driver.

So, after many discussions w/ my wife, we decided to use the PSD as it was designed - to haul and tow heavy, bulky items. We decided not to trade in this truck because: we would take a big hit on a trade, it is paid for, runs great, very reliable, takes all the crap and abuse I can throw at it and come back for more!

We use her RAV4 as a daily driver to/ from work and commuting to the mtns on the weekends. The PSD stays home under the truck cover. I fire it up and run for 15-30 mins every other week.

The price of diesel will remain high unless the global demand softens, we build additional refining capacity. Also if more diesel stations would start carrying more biodiesel, this would help expanding the supply and help the U.S. farmer

Butch Cassidy

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
The price of diesel will remain high unless the global demand softens, we build additional refining capacity. Also if more diesel stations would start carrying more biodiesel, this would help expanding the supply and help the U.S. farmer

Butch Cassidy

well, good luck with that.

diesel fuel may moderate some, but to decrease in price is a pipe dream.

India and China are trying to bring their economies from the stone age to the 21st century in a 30 year time-span.. and diesel fuel is going to be the milk of the golden lamb.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Butch, seems you are doing as I am to a tee. I leave my truck parked in the garage and only drive it on the weekends to haul and move items if needed. Other than that we use the girl's Suzuki Wagon as much as possible. and during the week I'm lucky enough to have a 4cyl company car. :hail:hail Selling/trading is a financial loss at this time, so it's easier to keep it as a garage orniment.

Last edited:

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive my truck whenever I want or need to. My daily commute is about 60 miles, round-trip, but I enjoy the truck. I am, surprisingly, getting about the same MPG as my wife's 6cyl GMC Envoy, so there's only the differential between fuel prices there. My 94 Yukon 6.5TD, is actually getting about 20% better MPG than either of the other vehicles. I can usually find some secondary reason for using the F-350 on a daily or every other day basis, along with my commute, so I can justify using it. I could have had a GMC 2500 for about the same price and maybe a little better mileage, but the Ford fit my needs better, and IN MY OPINION (so do't scream at me!) the difference in mileage was worth the Ford.
I also am hard pressed to see the finanacial benefit to buying another vehicle for the mileage issue (in my case) with the attendant costs such as insurance coverage; depreciation; etc. I decided to keep the Yukon for a lot of reasons (not all of them "good reasons") mostly because it was worth more to me than it was as a trade or sale.
Bottom line: The truck works for me. That's my only concern

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are many of us who have good jobs or good retirement and can afford gas or diesel at twice the present cost. I for one just do not like knowing that I am filling the pockets of people who want to destroy America.
Also when we go shopping, we look for the best deal. "best quality for the best price". If we want to take the truck, the price of fuel is not going to stop us, but we can go twice the distance with our Focus as we can with the PSD for the same money. Our 240ZV8 uses premium fuel and gets less than 15 mpg, but it is fun to drive, so we drive it.
Some people are struggling with the economy, and have to make choices on what they want to spend their money on.
So if a guy wants to trade in his PSD for a more economical vehicle, then
(A man has to do what a man has to do).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg