Torn between 2 tires

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much to pick from in the 20" rim size for our trucks close to stock size. I thought there would be more to pick from. Looks like 18's have much more to pick from. Here are my options as I've found:

-OEM Wrangler AT/S
-Michelin LTX AT2
-Toyo open country AT

-285/65 BFG AT KO

Seems to be list of options. I have to pick one and live with it for a while.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
No.
And it kind of blows, because I knew sometime I was going to get asked this question... lo and behold, here we are.

But on the other hand, I can see tire companies not publishing any thing on it, because untill you learn how to interpret it, it's pretty much a useless number.

How do you judge them?
Dump them on a sidewall and jump up & down on them.

Sounds like Big Rubber is trying to fleece the public. :sly

JRJ04

Reaction score
how much off roading capabilities would I lose if I currently have the bfg a/t's and go to a silent armor?

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JR- I'd say not much loss, maybe gain.

Ok guys... The BFG's are WAY to expensive, and designed in 1986, no offesne but I found a lot of complaints about the tire being over priced for what it is. So I'm down to the OEM AT/S or the Toyo Open Country AT. Can't find any pricing on the Toyos online. I'm also curious to where the Toyos are made... no chinese tires on my truck.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Sounds like Big Rubber is trying to fleece the public. :sly

doesn't have anything to do with Big Rubber fleecing anything..

look at the current 100 B B system we've had for 20 years now..
under that system, you can have a "Corporate tread," an "all-season" and a performance tire with exactly the same rating, priced $50. apart.
Remember, this system was conceived around 1980, when Corvettes came with P225/70R15's.. so you're Mr. Owner looking at three tires that all fit, one's priced at $70. one's priced at $110., the third at $145. You own a Corvette, gob dabbit, you're right, and you're not spending $150. per tire when the $70 ones fit the car.

So then it's July, you're smoking down I-90 off the Front Range onto the Plains, doin' about 130 mph, on a tire designed with a maximum speed of 86 mph... what's gonna happen?

That's how the American public thinks.

Nitrogen inflation?
I never have to check my tire pressures again! (No one checks them to begin with until chunks are flying, so this one's no big deal)

Gee, these $40. tires made in China sure were a lot cheaper than the $95 ones made in Ohio.
Can you say "Orteck?" They're still looking for 10,000 units, and have no flippin idea whatsoever who they got sold to..

Now, they have a new system coming that rates tires on load, speed indicies, braking and cornering traction, treadwear, sound level and ride quality. You think the Commerce Dept or DOT is going to have the time to check 21 million tires as they come in from China and India to make sure they meet Product Safety regulations?
Hello? Lead paint on toys? Call on line 2...

The American consumer wants a simple scale that rates things 1 to 10. I'm no different, I'd like it, too. But you'd have a lot of PO'd individuals when the Government Benchmark Tire is a Michelin Pilot, or Goodyear Assurance, or Bridgestone Turanza.. or whatever the heck it ends up being.

Because tires are as different as apples and oranges, and comparing one to the other just ain't gonna work.

:rant mode OFF.

:tounge

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Rant JL, but that doesn't help me lol. I'm not the average consumer. I watch the tech balance them on a Hunter 9700 force balancer, I torque my lug nuts to spec in correct bolt pattern (no impacts, or torque stix) and check my air pressure 1x week in the AM before leaving for work for precise measurment. My gauge is a large Dial gauge I've checked against the other 6 or 7 gauges I own. I also paint mark my tires and figure out what PSI they need to be at for correct wear patterns if the tire/wheel combo is different than OEM.

Looks like the Toyos will run about $219-$248/ea from what I found on the net. Still not sure where they are manufactured; I don't buy China tires. I agree the Toyo's do look good... nice tread design for function. I still might end up with AT/S's b/c of Pricing and b/c I'm broke. See how they do and then try the Toyos or something after that.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Good Rant JL, but that doesn't help me lol.
Looks like the Toyos will run about $219-$248/ea from what I found on the net. Still not sure where they are manufactured; I don't buy China tires.

It'll be molded right into the sidewall, down by the bead.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
doesn't have anything to do with Big Rubber fleecing anything..

look at the current 100 B B system we've had for 20 years now..
under that system, you can have a "Corporate tread," an "all-season" and a performance tire with exactly the same rating, priced $50. apart.
Remember, this system was conceived around 1980, when Corvettes came with P225/70R15's.. so you're Mr. Owner looking at three tires that all fit, one's priced at $70. one's priced at $110., the third at $145. You own a Corvette, gob dabbit, you're right, and you're not spending $150. per tire when the $70 ones fit the car.

So then it's July, you're smoking down I-90 off the Front Range onto the Plains, doin' about 130 mph, on a tire designed with a maximum speed of 86 mph... what's gonna happen?

That's how the American public thinks.

Nitrogen inflation?
I never have to check my tire pressures again! (No one checks them to begin with until chunks are flying, so this one's no big deal)

Gee, these $40. tires made in China sure were a lot cheaper than the $95 ones made in Ohio.
Can you say "Orteck?" They're still looking for 10,000 units, and have no flippin idea whatsoever who they got sold to..

Now, they have a new system coming that rates tires on load, speed indicies, braking and cornering traction, treadwear, sound level and ride quality. You think the Commerce Dept or DOT is going to have the time to check 21 million tires as they come in from China and India to make sure they meet Product Safety regulations?
Hello? Lead paint on toys? Call on line 2...

The American consumer wants a simple scale that rates things 1 to 10. I'm no different, I'd like it, too. But you'd have a lot of PO'd individuals when the Government Benchmark Tire is a Michelin Pilot, or Goodyear Assurance, or Bridgestone Turanza.. or whatever the heck it ends up being.

Because tires are as different as apples and oranges, and comparing one to the other just ain't gonna work.

:rant mode OFF.

:tounge

:lmao:lmaoGotcha!!!:lmao:lmao

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to see a set of Silent armors in person today...wow. nice tire. I really want a set in either 275 or 285. That would be THE tire... but not an option.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14