Torn between 2 tires

JRJ04

Reaction score
tampa, how could i see a gain?

JL, whats your opinion? Will a silent armor really hold up as well as a bfg? I've always heard that goodyears are not rated to hold a truck this heavy. Please confirm that this is wrong?!

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of that GY rumor. The tires supporting the truck have to be of enough load #'s. Each tire is different as far as max load and C, D, or E load range also.

JRJ04

Reaction score
I checked into the goodyears at disct tire today. The guys there have never led me wrong and he strongly advised I stay away from them because I'll be lucky to get 30k out of them

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm getting my AT/S's put on this week sometime. For the price I can't argue. My 2nd choice was Toyo Open Country A/T's, but they were like $248. Other than the AT/S and the Toyo.... I didn't find anything else I liked in 275/65R20 Load range E.

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Well I'm getting my AT/S's put on this week sometime. For the price I can't argue. My 2nd choice was Toyo Open Country A/T's, but they were like $248.
Are they free? I would have to be paid and paid well to ever run another set of AT/S tires. Traction on slick roads is very important to my safety. The Toyo's are expensive but they fall into the "get what you pay for" category.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you chief, but money is tight. Reason I'm even looking at taking 35's off is b/c of fuel prices... so I don't have a lot of money to throw expensive "econo" tires on. Figure let me give these so called bad AT/S's a try. Sell my Procomps... see what downsizing tires does to my MPG's and how money and fuel prices go... maybe I'll buy a "nice" set of OEM size tires in the future. So other than the Toyo.... and the Michelin LTX AT2 what is there? I can not beleive how limited tire choices are in 20" for these trucks.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I agree with you chief, but money is tight. Reason I'm even looking at taking 35's off is b/c of fuel prices... so I don't have a lot of money to throw expensive "econo" tires on. Figure let me give these so called bad AT/S's a try. Sell my Procomps... see what downsizing tires does to my MPG's and how money and fuel prices go... maybe I'll buy a "nice" set of OEM size tires in the future. So other than the Toyo.... and the Michelin LTX AT2 what is there? I can not beleive how limited tire choices are in 20" for these trucks.

Dude, I understand completely..

I dumped over $1200. in my roach since Christmas trying to get the fuel economy up..

now I've gotta try to recoup that...

with the chip, I might be able to break even..

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
tampa, how could i see a gain?

JL, whats your opinion? Will a silent armor really hold up as well as a bfg? I've always heard that goodyears are not rated to hold a truck this heavy. Please confirm that this is wrong?!
load index is a load index, no matter what.. I see alot of people putting "E's" on a half-ton, then *****ing about the ride quality; putting P-'s pr LT-C's on a one-ton, and then ragging because the sidewalls break down, trying to tell me "that's exactly the same tire I took off of there"
and you can't tell them anything, because the guy at Moe's Tire told them it'd work fine..
but my shop "...is the warranty center, go see them..."

I will tell you this..
I got the first set of Silent Armors that ever darkened the door at my shop..
8 months later we're heading up I-69 out of Coldwater with three horses in the trailer and it's raining like a SOB.
Two of the horses decide to start playing "quit touching me" and before I know it, I'm looking at the trailer about 20degrees broadside in my rt mirror..
Truck stayed G L U E D to the highway, enabling me to prevent quite the mess.
I'm thinking to myself, "why in the hell did they take so long, and make me suffer through Wrangler AT's and AT/S', and Workhorse XG's?"
(probably for the same reason Goodyear's made the best drive tire and trailer tire in the trucking industry for years, but couldn't make a steer tire if their life depended on it)

Last edited:

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JL- PLEASE!!! do me a favor. Tell GY they need to make the Silent armor in a 275/65R20 E and in a 285/65R20E!!!!! and quick. Like I said, I saw a set of Silent armors on a county work truck the other day on site and they were SWEET!!!! I really want to try a set if/when they are avail in the above sizes.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14