Torn between 2 tires

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Let me know how the shock is going back to stockers. I really like my 35" rubber but we went over $5 a gallon up here today so I am thinking it is time to rethink things.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ideally I'd be keeping my beloved 35" x12.50 Procomp Xtreme AT's and just buy some 20x10 wheels to correct skinny rim, balloon tire syndrome. But... that's more money, plus MPG losses, maybe even more with heavier wheels... Just aint worth it for me. Cut my losses and run. I'll post up how shocked I get. But I'll also post my MPG gain, as I did notice a loss when going to the 35's.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AT/S's are back on. MPG's are up and the truck feels quicker. It does ride a lot stiffer though... those 35's were mooshy. I'm running them at 65 PSI cold F&R like the door label indicates. I chalked them and did an itial wear pattern... turns out the guys at ford know what they are doing. Wear was perfect. I'm happy... for the price I paid for the tires, and the price of fuel... Gotta do what you gotta do. :rolleyes:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
AT/S's are back on. MPG's are up and the truck feels quicker. It does ride a lot stiffer though... those 35's were mooshy. I'm running them at 65 PSI cold F&R like the door label indicates. I chalked them and did an itial wear pattern... turns out the guys at ford know what they are doing. Wear was perfect. I'm happy... for the price I paid for the tires, and the price of fuel... Gotta do what you gotta do. :rolleyes:

Feels quicker because it is..
your AT/S' aren't as tall, so it's lowered your effective gear ratio

glad the MPG's are up (less drag)

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm clearly not burning as much fuel now. I'd say I gained my 2 mpg's back.:sweet Before with the lift and 35's if I wasn't really careful I'd be in the 12-14 mpg's around town. Now I'm in the 16's and 17's. What I really want to do next is a SCT, but the warranty will go bye bye, so I'm done. Living with it.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm clearly not burning as much fuel now. I'd say I gained my 2 mpg's back.:sweet Before with the lift and 35's if I wasn't really careful I'd be in the 12-14 mpg's around town. Now I'm in the 16's and 17's. What I really want to do next is a SCT, but the warranty will go bye bye, so I'm done. Living with it.

call Jody at DP Tuner

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
load index is a load index, no matter what.. I see alot of people putting "E's" on a half-ton, then *****ing about the ride quality; putting P-'s pr LT-C's on a one-ton, and then ragging because the sidewalls break down, trying to tell me "that's exactly the same tire I took off of there"
and you can't tell them anything, because the guy at Moe's Tire told them it'd work fine..
but my shop "...is the warranty center, go see them..."

I will tell you this..
I got the first set of Silent Armors that ever darkened the door at my shop..
8 months later we're heading up I-69 out of Coldwater with three horses in the trailer and it's raining like a SOB.
Two of the horses decide to start playing "quit touching me" and before I know it, I'm looking at the trailer about 20degrees broadside in my rt mirror..
Truck stayed G L U E D to the highway, enabling me to prevent quite the mess.
I'm thinking to myself, "why in the hell did they take so long, and make me suffer through Wrangler AT's and AT/S', and Workhorse XG's?"
(probably for the same reason Goodyear's made the best drive tire and trailer tire in the trucking industry for years, but couldn't make a steer tire if their life depended on it)

That story with the horses is GREAT! Made me laugh out loud! (I'm sure its funnier in the telling than it was is action!) But is speaks volumes about what is really critical in a tire. The most important thing is the USE! What are you really expecting? Some things, like wet traction shouldn't be compromised, but tread wear and off-road traction are usually trade-offs that different individuals need to make. One more time...great story! thanks and regards...joe
PS: I put a set of Goodyear Fortera's on my wife's 2002 Envoy XL, expecting them to live up to my great expectations of my long use of Goodyear tires...I was somewhat disappointed when her 4wd crapped out in a snowstorm and those tires on that vehicle were borderline useless.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
That story with the horses is GREAT! Made me laugh out loud! (I'm sure its funnier in the telling than it was is action!) But is speaks volumes about what is really critical in a tire. The most important thing is the USE! What are you really expecting? Some things, like wet traction shouldn't be compromised, but tread wear and off-road traction are usually trade-offs that different individuals need to make. One more time...great story! thanks and regards...joe
PS: I put a set of Goodyear Fortera's on my wife's 2002 Envoy XL, expecting them to live up to my great expectations of my long use of Goodyear tires...I was somewhat disappointed when her 4wd crapped out in a snowstorm and those tires on that vehicle were borderline useless.

oh yeah...
snow traction in a winter tire or all-season is measured as braking traction.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 weeks into the AT/S's.... MPG's are good and truck is doing 10-4. So the goal of my short term plan was accomplished. We'll see how they do with long term wear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58