Torn between 2 tires

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
JL- PLEASE!!! do me a favor. Tell GY they need to make the Silent armor in a 275/65R20 E and in a 285/65R20E!!!!! and quick. Like I said, I saw a set of Silent armors on a county work truck the other day on site and they were SWEET!!!! I really want to try a set if/when they are avail in the above sizes.

already have.
:sweet

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
load index is a load index, no matter what.. I see alot of people putting "E's" on a half-ton, then *****ing about the ride quality; putting P-'s pr LT-C's on a one-ton, and then ragging because the sidewalls break down, trying to tell me "that's exactly the same tire I took off of there"
and you can't tell them anything, because the guy at Moe's Tire told them it'd work fine..
but my shop "...is the warranty center, go see them..."

I will tell you this..
I got the first set of Silent Armors that ever darkened the door at my shop..
8 months later we're heading up I-69 out of Coldwater with three horses in the trailer and it's raining like a SOB.
Two of the horses decide to start playing "quit touching me" and before I know it, I'm looking at the trailer about 20degrees broadside in my rt mirror..
Truck stayed G L U E D to the highway, enabling me to prevent quite the mess.
I'm thinking to myself, "why in the hell did they take so long, and make me suffer through Wrangler AT's and AT/S', and Workhorse XG's?"
(probably for the same reason Goodyear's made the best drive tire and trailer tire in the trucking industry for years, but couldn't make a steer tire if their life depended on it)

ok so with all that being said, what kind of mileage can i expect out of them? guy at the place told me good luck getting 30, but i know he's not a goodyear expert like you. how many do you have on yours so far? how are they looking?

as for the traction....seems like theyve got the bfg's beat on wet traction, but whats your feeling on sand, mud etc. will i lose a little?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
(probably for the same reason Goodyear's made the best drive tire and trailer tire in the trucking industry for years, but couldn't make a steer tire if their life depended on it)
But then they discontinued it. We use to run the G144 up here and they worked great so GoodYear decided to upgrade them to the G244 and what a lousy tire, so lousy that I am not even sure they still make them. We now run Michelin XDY-2 drive tires and have for years since GoodYear decided to drop the tire that worked for us. We do run the G177 once in a while when we run out of the XDY-2 as they are hard to get at times. Same thing with the steer tires, we ran G186 and they worked fine but then GoodYear upgraded to the G286 and they cup really bad when used as a steer tire. We now run Michelin XZY steer tires. GoodYear doesn't seem to pay attention to the customer..

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we need a rolling resistance system for tire buyers. Like the UTOG or whatever. 500 AA vs a 280 B C. Big difference there cheif.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
But then they discontinued it. We use to run the G144 up here and they worked great so GoodYear decided to upgrade them to the G244 and what a lousy tire, so lousy that I am not even sure they still make them.
they don't - that's what the G286 replaced...

We do run the G177 once in a while when we run out of the XDY-2 as they are hard to get at times.
Really? That's a mine service tire. You use them in a logging operation or something?

Same thing with the steer tires, we ran G186 and they worked fine but then GoodYear upgraded to the G286 and they cup really bad when used as a steer tire. We now run Michelin XZY steer tires. GoodYear doesn't seem to pay attention to the customer.
yeah.. mixed service tires generally work like crap in steer applications, and usually don't work all that well in drive applications either... and they do listen to the customer, it's just that line haul guys talk a little louder than the miners and loggers...

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Really? That's a mine service tire. You use them in a logging operation or something?
Haul road from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. 508 miles from here to Prudhoe and 414 of it is gravel/rock/dirt/mud. I run about 135,000 miles a year on the Dalton. The XDY-2 works great and the G177 holds up well too. A regular line haul steer or drive tire will shred and rock drill in just a few trips.

Dalton Highway(The "Haul Road")

I don't know if it will be a good show or not but on the History Channels "Tougher in Alaska" they have a upcoming episode featuring the Haul Road.

Did you get the tires installed yet Tampa?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Haul road from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. 508 miles from here to Prudhoe and 414 of it is gravel/rock/dirt/mud. I run about 135,000 miles a year on the Dalton. The XDY-2 works great and the G177 holds up well too. A regular line haul steer or drive tire will shred and rock drill in just a few trips.

Dalton Highway(The "Haul Road")

I don't know if it will be a good show or not but on the History Channels "Tougher in Alaska" they have a upcoming episode featuring the Haul Road.

Did you get the tires installed yet Tampa?

OK.. I smell what you're steppin' in.
I lived up there for about nine months the year I was on the Iditarod Trail Committee.
That's why you miss the G144. We called it the "Road Commission" tire, because it worked so well on their dump trucks.
First time I ever saw 53'ers hauled in triple was on the Glenn

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58