troubles

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I have already described this briefly to Antonio but let's see what y'all think.

I finally got B99 in Amarillo last week, both tanks. Drove the 125 miles home no problems whatsoever. Topped off but switched to back tank to keep running B99 rather than the blend I just made in the front tank. Fine for a day. On the way to the airport it starts losing power and running rough as if starved for fuel. That is actually my diagnosis at this point. Switch to front tank, roll into parking garage, leave it for a day. Get back and it starts right up and runs fine all the way home on the blended tank. Sits all weekend. Driving to work this morning I decided to tempt fate and went back to rear tank B99. Runs fine for a while but then starts all over and dumps me on the interstate. Sit there a few minutes. Starts right back up. This happens 3 times this morning on my 7 mile commute. After shutting down for a minute it always comes right back and runs great for a mile or so.

Here is what I suspect - the distributor where I got it (no retailer) did not filter it between their tank and mine and probably was not filtered before going in their's (but that is a guess). So, now I have debris floating around and clogging the pickup screen in the tanks which then starves the engine until it dies, debris falls off from no suction, then eventually gets pulled back after running a few miles.

Does that sound likely to you? If so, obviously I am looking at dumping 1.5 tanks of bio and the .5 tank of reg #2, dropping the tanks and flushing them out. Obviously, I will not be doing this personally. How much is that little gem gonna cost me?

I have a call in to the manager of the distributor to see what they say. Im not expecting much, if any, help. Im supposed to move to Dallas in a month and now am looking at an inoperable truck. -mad

My stock filter is still clean and normal so nothing is getting that far.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
pretty good hypothesis there counselor :D

sure does sound like something is clogging up your supply, refresh my memory. How long has it been since you had any bio in the rear tank before this batch of b99?

dumping that much fuel is going to suck, hopefully they will meet you some on the expense.

have you taken a sample of the rear tank, through the filler neck to get an idea of what may be in there?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Peter, What a bummer! It's a shame to dump so much fuel. Why can't you refilter it once it's removed through a filter bag like THIS ?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Or...............

The bio-diesel scrubbed all the algie(bugs) off the walls of the rear tank and it floated up and is stopping up your fuel filter screen.

Wonder if you ran the front tank to near empty..........then pulled the bed off the truck and pumped the fuel through a filter into the front tank.

Clean the screen and tank.............save the fuel.............and do fuel system mods all at the same time.

Tbar

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
ran b99 until last June I think. I have had one or two tanks since but last fall.

I just got off the phone with the manager/owner of the supplier and he said it sounded like an ailing fuel pump to him and that he had similar symptoms when his died. That sounds reasonable and he did say that if it proved otherwise he would help me out.

So, as I assume the pump is both cheaper and easier than the tanks, how much/how hard is the pump? Can a paper pusher like me do it or am I safer letting someone else?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
at the moment, this is happening on both tanks so running it empty isn't gonna work...

Is this the right pump (got # from Joat's page)

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Peter, If initially if it was working on one tank and not the other why do you think it is the pump?

Tbar

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
well, that is what the fuel guy said and said he had the same symptoms when his went out. Could be spin, could be true.

But, I ran 125 miles on b99 from there to here with no problems and now this is happening on both tanks. So, why would I be able to run 1/3 tank on pure bio with no troubles but now both pure and blend are giving me trouble? I don't know. I have 94,ooo miles and stock pump. Seems that if it is gunk I would have trouble on the drive home from Amarillo.

I am also just hoping it would be the pump rather than the fuel. Easier and cheaper to fix.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Yes that P/N matches Carter Federal-Mogul M61067.

I decided to filter my B99.9 from the yellow jugs they were stored in. I noticed a few black algae globs almost the size of a shirt button. Nuthin' a dose of biocide can't cure. This is the filter bag in action! It is two ply 5 & 1 micron absolute!

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Peter, Did you recently install a prepump filter???

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14