troubles

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
how involved is the pump replace? Autozone has it for $80. Just trying to decide if I should have someone else do it or not. Im about to be doin' the metro!

ok I've visited with a local diesel mech. Here is what he says... a mech pump is more likely to simply die and not go back and forth like this is. He, to some degree, supports the trash clogging the pickup lines idea. But, what he says is that it is not likely the screen at the end of the tube but rather some screens in the return lines at some part that is back in there somewhere. Since he can only guess, he suggests putting a temporary bypass taking the return fuel up and into the filler neck to bypass this screen thing and see if it continues to have problems. If no issues while set up this way that is the issue and we're probably looking at well over $500. Another possible simultaneous issue is that the tank selector is not working and Im never getting away from the bad fuel. I kind of doubt this because I can see needle movement when i switch over even though both are darn near full. We'll see what happens on the way home tonight and the ride in tomorrow. And I need brakes too. Yeah.

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Well the producer is filtering through 1-2 microns and treating with biocide. Now the retailer...was it a steel tank? There were no screen filters or anything?

It would have to be ALOT of junk to plug screens in the pick up but I don't know what they look like in the OBS trucks. I could see the biocide killing algae and plugging stuff but since you filter is spotless I really don't know. Let me think about it for awhile...I'll also try to get some fuel tomorrow and I'll put some in a jar to see what it looks like first.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I can hardly think about it... basically everything back from, and including, the fuel pump is being replaced. both tanks dropped and cleaned. fuel is purportedly thicker than trans fluid and full of floating junk. The guy said probably not from the fuel dealer but rather build up in my tanks that has broken free and started clogging everything.

I am somewhat sick to my stomach and can't properly relay the details. Maybe after I've recovered.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...I know what you're feeling.

If it was me, I'd take a sample of the fuel and get it tested. I know that one time I had a batch of homemade fuel that I didn't wash (first batch)... it had a lot of glycerine in it and it would clog a filter in no-time. At least that way you can ask for some help from the distributor with proof that the fuel wasn't to spec.

Good Luck..

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I can hardly think about it...I am somewhat sick to my stomach and can't properly relay the details. Maybe after I've recovered.

My condolences. Peter, your story hits me hard too. Time to install the Racor. Are your tanks steel or plastic?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
son of a B, that HURTS...sorry peter...cripes i wish we were
closer Id help you drop the tanks and get this done ourselves !

this sure take the ROI outta bio....

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
yeah, the dropping them myself ran through my mind but just not feasible. Thanks guys.

I'll have to wait to read and tell y'all the details from the bill. I know he is replacing the tank selector and the entire thing that has the return and pickup lines going through it. Im beyond my knowledge to describe it now. Basically, the pickup part had so much gunk going through it that it was shot. Im a tad skeptical on the tank selector switch but he did come recommended from a very honest other mech who can't do this stuff. He also had several other PSDs in his shop so he must be doing something right.

He did say the Racor would not have helped much if any here. the debris was getting stuck before the filter would have picked it up. He tested fuel pressure and got 20 psi at the bowl at idle and it dropped to 0 under load. He said the stock filter was collapsing. Ya, ya, ya, all that stuff.

Richard, I have steel tanks. He said the junk was most likely from time and not just this load of fuel although he described the fuel as very thick.

I need another beer. Im off for the night. y'all have a good night.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14