troubles

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles Peter. Would have made for a good mod/repair party.

To prevent this problem in the future you might consider removing the screens from the in tank pick up tube and install the Racor. If it happens again you just change filters.

Tbar

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1600.00 bucks for a tank of fuel is kinda of steep. Sorry to hear about this Peter. Looking forward to meeting you at Caddo Mills.

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
:eek: That really sux!

I will try and get 2 five gallon samples tomorrow or Friday. If they have it in steel tanks at Centergas I'm willing to bet they are dirty.:(
:sorry

Vinni

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles Peter. Would have made for a good mod/repair party.

To prevent this problem in the future you might consider removing the screens from the in tank pick up tube and install the Racor. If it happens again you just change filters.

Tbar

TBar - do you have a source and part number for this Racor filter?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score

Tbar

That sounds like a great idea to me. How hard would it be to remove those screens? I can suggest it to the guy doing the work except that I am not prepared yet to install the racor.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea to me. How hard would it be to remove those screens? I can suggest it to the guy doing the work except that I am not prepared yet to install the racor.

On mine the screen just pops out of the boot. I am not familar with how your year model truck is set up though.

FWIW...............I wouldn't do it unless I was putting the Racor in at the same time.

Tbar

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
yeah, I figured that would be fairly critical. I spoke with the mech today and he said once he got it apart it was not quite as bad as he predicted and the cost will be somewhat less. Im sure still over 1000 but I'll take any break I can get. I asked about the screen and he said it is fairly large and the debris I had would not have gotten past the supply hose. So, even if I did take off the screen, its openings are larger than the supply hose. He said it is for bigger stuff.

I wonder if my tanks simply built up a bunch of sludge over the years and b99 finally cut through. They will be slick as a whistle now though.

Thanks for the moral support guys.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
results -

well I got my truck back today. ended up being $1225. The work consisted of:

fuel pump
fuel filter
sender screen
sender seal
tank switch valve
dropping and cleaning tanks

Here is the kicker(s) - I saw a fuel sample in a plastic coke bottle. It was a brownish/yellow dirty mess. If you can picture a plastic coke bottle with the little feet - the sludge in the bottle filled those feet and leveled off above so that there was a uniform layer across the bottle bottom. Looked like dirt.

The guy that cleaned the tanks said 2 things - one, they were both extremely dirty with a lot of crap in them; and two - he found a red SHOP RAG in my back tank!!! My father bought the truck new and I bought it from him a year later. I have NEVER put a shop rag anywhere near the tank. I am wondering if some kid walking down the street did that. I can't imagine when or how else it could have gotten there. It was floating up and cutting off fuel supply from the back tank. Makes me also wonder if someone did shove it down there, what else did they put in? I am going to look for locking caps and replace my stock ones.

Im back on the road now so we'll see how it runs. Ran well the 1 mile to work from the shop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14